In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barnes MRX bullet-

FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
Anybody tried it yet?

or is it still in the works?

sniper.gif
NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif

Comments

• Options
    Idaho Elk HuntrIdaho Elk Huntr Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont think they are out yet! I read on their website that they would be out spring of 06. Of course I checked it after I hit all the shops looking for them [:o)] If you locate any place that has them please let me know!!
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FrancF,

As pointed out, these are not due out until Spring of 2006 and based on Barnes track record for release dates, we may see them by mid-summer to early fall... although Federal will get the first run for loading into their Premium line of ammunition.

Before we get all excited and rush out to throw money at Barnes, I think it's important to make a couple of points regarding the Barnes marketing plan for these bullets.

First, look at the box quantity, 20 per box.

Second, if they are packaging at 20 per box, what do you think the price point is going to be? Look at the other examples of low quantity packaging of bullets. It's usually an indicator that the cost (shelf price) will run somewhere between $1.00/bullet up to as high as $2.00/bullet.

Barnes 22 cal. TSX bullets in 50's run just short of 53 cents each.
    Barnes 45 cal. TSX bullets in 20's run right at $1.20 each already.

I have an e-mail into both Connie and Randy trying to get an idea of what they see as a suggested cost to us, the general public. I'm sure that they are being deluged as usual and I will probably have to get on the phone to get an answer in a reasonable period of time. But I think you can pretty much plan on at least $1.00/bullet for the smaller caliber bullets.

Just to get it out of the way, yes, I'm aware that shooting a $1.00 bullet for one head of game is reasonably priced but only when you take just that as an individual event. The reality of the situation is that for the load development for each of the cartridges that you choose to use these bullets, your investment will go up about 100%. For the average recreational shooter, that won't amount to a big problem. But for those of us that shoot frequently and in volume, this will absolutely preclude using their product in any serious quantities.

I will definitely try some when they hit the shelves but unless they can keep the prices at about the current level of the TSX bullets, I won't be wasting much time or more importantly, money, on any serious load work up. Don't get me wrong, anyone who has read some of my comments knows that I'm all for advancements in technology and new product development. But I also have to ask "How much does it need to cost?" or "How much do we really need to spend to get the same job done?"

I think that Barnes is going to find the top of the pyramid of users that will spend large dollars on bullets.

Best.

Maximum-Range X-BulletsT
    MRX_Barnes.jpg

The latest member of the deadly X-Bullet family, the MRXT features a heavier-than lead tungsten core in its base, along with a Delrin tip. This premium, high-BC hunting bullet is specifically designed to deliver deadly performance at long range.

? Deadly Long-Range Accuracy

? High Ballistic Coefficient

? Flatter Trajectory

? Greater Energy at Long Range

? Complete Penetration

? Double-Diameter Expansion

? Razor-Sharp Cutting Edges

? Full Weight Retention

? Completely Lead-Free

? Available in 20-Bullet Packs

New for 2006, Barnes' super-premium, Maximum-Range X-BulletT is designed for hunters who demand 100-percent reliable performance and one-shot kills at extended distances. The boattail MRXT bullet combines the best features and deadly killing power of Barnes' copper Triple-ShockT X-Bullet with a new DelrinT tip and a tungsten core.

The denser-than-lead tungsten core moves the MRX bullet's center of gravity rearward, producing optimum ballistic performance, maximum penetration and the same exceptional accuracy Triple-Shock Bullets are famous for. A heavy tungsten core surrounded by a controlled-expanding all-copper body means game-dropping performance no lead-core bullet can match. Unlike soft lead cores that fragment or squeeze out under pressure, the tough MRX tungsten core retains its shape on impact, maintaining bullet integrity.

Adding a streamlined Delrin tip gives this premium bullet a higher ballistic coefficient (BC), allowing the MRX bullet to deliver flatter trajectory and greater retained energy at long range. Unlike some plastic-tipped bullets, the Delrin-tipped MRX won't fragment on impact or blow up on game. The MRX bullet provides controlled expansion at both short and long range. The nose of the bullet peels back into four razor-sharp copper petals that resist shearing off. The new bullet typically retains 100 percent of its original weight and delivers the deep-penetrating, bone-smashing power needed for raking shots at large game.

Like the all-copper Barnes-X and Triple-Shock X-Bullets, the new Maximum-Range X-Bullet contains no lead to contaminate venison. The MRX is the X-Bullet to choose when you need to make difficult shots at extreme distances. It's a super-premium bullet that delivers dependable long-range kills.

Available in Federal Premium Vital-Shok ammunition.

The following bullets will be available Spring of 2006:

270 Caliber

Diameter Weight Description S.D. B.C. CAT#
    NEW .277" 130 gr MRX BT .242 27783
    NEW .277" 150 gr MRX BT .279 27785

7mm Caliber

Diameter Weight Description S.D. B.C. CAT#
    NEW .284" 140 gr MRX BT .248 28484
    NEW .284" 160 gr MRX BT .283 28486

30 Caliber Diameter Weight Description S.D. B.C. CAT#
    NEW .308" 150 gr MRX BT .226 30882
    NEW .308" 165 gr MRX BT .248 30885
    NEW .308" 180 gr MRX BT .271 30888

338 Caliber Diameter Weight Description S.D. B.C. CAT#
    NEW .338" 185 gr MRX BT .231 33863
    NEW .338" 225 gr MRX BT .281 33867

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Phone call to Randy:

The prices for the new MRX bullets will be $21.00 - $23.00 for 20 bullets in the sizes to be released first.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are those BCs really low or is it just me?
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a dvd of their new bullet by calling or e-mailing them for it. Its free, I know because I have had one for a month or two now.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Rifle mag just had a articule on the MRX.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks NN for the info! that is one expensive Bullet!!!![:0]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ContacFront,

Those numbers are for S.D. not B.C.

FrancF,

That's about the going rate currently for these so-called "Premium" bullets. Actually, it's way too much considering that the bullets today are made on completely automated machines. But the manufacturers have established the price points and they won't back down from them. So you either buy them or you let them sit on the shelf.

I paid about $2.00/bullet for some of the first Lost River Ballistics bullets and they didn't shoot worth a hoot, at all, no matter what tricks I tried. That's the last money they ever got from me. I still pay about $1.25/bullet for some of the GS Custom bullets that have to come from South Africa to the U.S. but I use very limited quantities of these.

I don't mind paying for top quality but when you consider that some of these bullets are twice or even three times the cost of more "normal" bullet, you have to ask yourself if they are twice or three times better. If they are, buy them, all you can afford. Usually though, they are merely just as good or maybe just a bit better so you have to decide which one you want to spend your money on.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks NNS,

At the price of these bullets, who can afford to truely load develop? I have a hard time swallowing the price I pay for my Berger VLDs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Premium bullets are not generaly needed if you match the proper weight and caliber to the game. For many years I considered the Nosler Partions to be the ultimate premium bullet, and could only afford them for serious elk and bear hunting. Nowadays, they are considered common bullets!!