In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I have permission to hunt upland birds

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
on a section of land but there is a catch- I either need to pickup the plastic wads, or use bio-degradeable types. Not wanting to spend the day looking for wads, I've found a source flor what are now considered old fashioned 1/2" fiber wads, but the loading data is very limited.

Does anyone have either a conversion factor for loads with these type wads as compared to wads like AA or SP? Or actual loading data for these type wads?

Comments

• Options
    donvitodonvito Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This may be a long shot but I would try Dixie Gunworks or Lyman online resources. They may have current or historic type information or a service you could email with your specific question.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a couple of 40 year old manuals from Lyman and Pacific that give a wide selection of loads for fiber and cardboard overpowder wads. What gauge, powder and shot weight do you want?

Retired-Reloading all night and shooting all day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Posh- I'd be loading for a 16ga. I'd have two loads in mind: For the smaller birds I'd want something with about 3 dram equivalent and 1 oz 7.5 shot. For the bigger birds I'd be looking for about 3.25 drams and 1 1/8 oz size 6 shot. For what it's worth, they'd be used in a full choke M37, adjustable choke M12, or IC,M,F M21. Thanks for the help!!
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray:These loads are for 16 gauge from the 1967 Pacific's Shotshell Manual. All are based on using a nitro card wad and fiber wadding to fill the shell along with the shot to the correct height for crimping. Keep in mind that you can cut the fiber wads to correctly fill the shell. Midway sells 16 ga nitro card wads if you need some (Catalog # 162-503).

1) 2.75 dr, 18 gr. Red Dot, 1 oz shot, 50 Lb. wad pressure, 1200 fps velocity.

2) 3 dr, 21 gr Unique, 1 1/8 oz shot, 50 Lb. wad pressure, 1240 fps.

3) 3.25 dr, 26 gr Herco, 1 1/8 oz shot, 90 Lb. wad pressure, 1295 fps.

These loads were checked for safety against the guide that came with my old MEC shotshell press.

I found an article in the 1969 NRA Handloaders Guide that says that the powder manufacturers recommended reducing the powder charge by 5% to 15% when switching from fiber wads to plastic cup wads.

If you'd like hard copies of this material, e-mail your address and I'll send it to you. Best of luck with the hunting, posh.

Retired - Reloading all night and shooting all day.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray B : In one of your previous posts you asked about Gualandi shotshell wads ( I believe it was you ). I think they make a modern type wad that is bio-degradeable and not needed to be recovered. You might check that out if you have a source for their other wads....................[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Temblor- I purchased some Gualandi modern type wads, but they are plastic and said nothing about being biodegadeable. I could see if they (Gualandi) have a website,etc. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray B : There is a company named "Precision Reloading,Inc." ( PO Box 122 - Stafford Springs, CT 06076-0122 ) that used to carry these bio-degradeable wads. They have a technical question line at 1-860-684-5680 or for catalogs and orders call 1-800-223-0900 9am-9pm Monday-Saturday Eastern Time. --- E-mail: info@precisionreloading.com --- Their website is : www.precisionreloading.com --- I am pretty sure that these were made by Gualandi but it's been a few years ago. I tried to find one of their old catalogs but didn't have one. I found the above info off of a full page ad they had in the 4th Edition Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook. -- I hope it's still accurate info.........good luck............[8D]
  • Options
    modocmodoc Member Posts: 474 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it is worth...I'd look for another area to hunt in..modoc

BILL
    KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY.BUT NOT HOT.....single action S&Ws are keepers