In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Switched bullets

DubieDubie Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
Recently, due to a shortage at the store, I hade to grab Sierra 140gr. SBT Game King bullets rather then the 140gr. Nostler Balistic Tips for my 7mm Remington Mag. My question is, should I be able to use the same poweder and weight I used with the Nostlers with the new Sierra bullets? Or will the pressures be to drasticaly different.

Thanks for any help I might get,
Dubie

Comments

• PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I don't know what load you were using before or how close to maximum it was, I can't even begin to answer the pressure part. But the safe thing to do would be to work up a load for the new bullet. Any time you change one of the three major components in a cartride (bullet maker, weight of bullet, type of bullet, powder type, primer maker, etc.) you really need to start over with your load developement.
  • DubieDubie Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sort of What I figured. I was using Alliant RL22, and closer to the Minnimum load then the maximum according to the Nosler book, and had no problems. I've only been reloading for a little over a year so am still learning. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to blow my face off trying to work up a simmilar load with the slightly different bullets.

Thanks,
    Dubie
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If they are both the same weight, odds are you would be fine. My only concern would be the difference in bearing surface. I would, however start a few grains down to be safe, but would feel fine bumping it up a little faster than I would with a brand new load development.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • DubieDubie Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I found a load in the Sierra manual using the same powder. Minimum was a little lower, but it seems to work just as good. Now to see if the bullets themselves work just as good...

Thanks for the info guys,
    Dubie
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one addition to Pinhead's list of major components. Don't forget the brass. Case weight and internal capacity can vary tremendously, from brand to brand. This can make a big difference in pressure, especially if you're already near the high end.

Rob
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    run the load ladder again. I would bet you will be within 1gr anyway,..but run it again for scientific purposes if nothing else.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • BigoledudeBigoledude Member Posts: 39
    edited November -1
    For starters, enjoy those Sierra boattails. That is by far the best performing bullets I ever put through my 7mm's!

They pretty much stoned everything I shot with 'em. Hogs and whitetails, no matter how big, they just crumpled!

And the Sierra's shot tighter groups for all of us than the Noslers ever did. We could never wring out the accuracy from the Noslers that the Sierras gave us with ease! We shot a 7mag, 7mm-08, and a Reminton .280. Same results.

If God is on my side, who can come against me!