In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hodgen Triple Seven loads

kazookazoo Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
I have heard that loads should be reduced when Shooting Hodgdon's Triple Seven black powder substitute in muzzle loading rifles. Is this true or can the same volumes be used as in Pyrodex. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    777 reportedly is a little more energetic than Pyrodex.

Most consider three 50 grain pellets as a max load of 777. I wouldn't want to shoot 150 grains of loose 777 and from what I've read, three 50 grain pellets aren't equal to 150 grains of loose.

I'm not sure what the max load is with loose 777 (probably 130 -140 grains). For me it was 110 grains - beyond that shooting the muzzleloader just wasn't fun any more. of course different guns are built to take recoil better too... so to each his own.
  • Options
    kazookazoo Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info KX500, I settled on 120 grains of loose 777, which is more than enough fire and brimstone for me, by the time I got sighted in my shoulder was complaining. Kazoo
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kx500 & kazoo,
    I'm interested in the loads you list. Caliber and bullet weight?
    I've been using 79 gr. 777 by weight with 240 maxilubes in my .45.
    Seems to be a good load but bumping the bullet weight to 325 seemed a bit excessive.
    Comments?
    Thanks,

Rob
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me it was a .50 and 240 to 260 grain bullets. Sorry, no experience with the .45 cal or weighing 777 - always just measured by volume. Now if you want to talk Savage Muzzleloaders, then we can talk weighing smokeless powder(which is what I do now).
  • Options
    2003harley2003harley Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Triple 7 is 15% stronger than pyrodex. I am shooting 2--50gr pellets behind a 245 powerbelt. Getting 1 moa out of custom shop Encore. Not sure what velocity is, but I sure can hit with it!
  • Options
    CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I use 3 of the 50/50 pellets of 777 and a 245 gr hollow point powerbelt in my .50 Omega and have gotten impressive results (1 -1 1/2 inch at 100 yds). However I have not chrono'd it nor have I actually weighed the pellets so....

NRA Life Member