In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

which savage model?

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Which savage model do you guys believe would make the most accuruate and something I can build unto. I have several savage models i.e. 12's, 110. I am thinking of tring the .204. I love to have a gun with some weight behind it and would almost certiainly would want a heavy barrel. all comments and inputs welcome. joe

Comments

• Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 12 Varminter Low Profile. It just sounds cool and accurate. 26" Stainles, Heavy, Fluted barrel. Laminated stock with Wide Beavertail Forend. If it was mine, I'd opt for the single shot version. Have fun with whatever you pick though.

KC
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Check their website. They have a new, "Extra-heavy" barreled model in 22-250, 223 and 204. Looks like it's worth having.

"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro"
    Hunter S. Thompson"
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 12-BVSS

If you have a 110 that you don't shoot much, how about the Switch barrel system.?

(Talking before I have looked to see if they have it in .204)

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes,

I like the FVSS but I by your description you would have to go with the BVSS. Both great rifles.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    12BVSS has been super from the ones I have worked loads for and the weight will suck up the recoil.

Short of that, the best route is a donor action, a match barrel blank, and a factory or aftermarket stock. You will be ahead of the factory price, but the match barrel will make up for that.

all savages can be made to a switch barrel, so that is not a consideration when choosing the action other than short or long action.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would like to see Savage offer their LEO model with the McMillan stock in other then .308Win.& .223Rem. The one that I have does a great job, right out of the box. I have another Savage Varmint model in 22-250 with their standard plastic varmint stock. The feel of the McMillan is much more solid and comfortable for me to shoot. If I buy another Savage heavy barrel rifle, I will opt for one that is single shot. When shooting prairie dogs, it seems to me to be much more sensible to feed singly, rather then to be reloading the mag every five rounds.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not been involved in building a gun in over 30 years,have aquired a 35 whelen barrel 24in.Adams and bennett to fit a savage action like 110 or 116.what is the switch barrel system your talking about?tks.hedge
  • Options
    hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Still trying to find out what a switched barrel system is.tks.hedge