In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Decreasing shot-cup capacity in wads

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
I have a few 16 ga guns that I reload for, but have only been able to find RP SP16 wads, which are fine for heavier loads, but I'd like to use the gun, particularly a Mdl 21, for clay birds, and would like lighter loads. I've tried some lighter loads but get a squashed crimp due to too much space inside. I've considered cutting some felt and placing it is the shotcup under the shot. Any ideas?

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A salty old shooter buddy of mine swears by reducing the load of shot and buffering the shot with MALT-O-MEAL. I have never tried this, but have definetly heard of it. I would try claybusters' website and maybe even email them and see what they suggest.

http://www.claybusterwads.com/claybuster.html

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drop in 1-2 20ga card wads into the cup (ahead of the shot).
    A lot of the "tradational" buffers (like flour) tend to clump around moisture, and have been known to act like a "sintered" bullet when fired.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    some people toss a pinto bean or two in to take up space.i suppose anybean handy would suffice.:)

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • 8yellowfintuna8yellowfintuna Member Posts: 787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    try and use cotton balls, the only problem is after, picking them up..

"Beam me up Scottie"
  • delang43delang43 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load lots of 16 ga shells. In my older SxS I want to reduce the recoil so what I load now is 7/8 oz loads. I use the old Winchester WAA16 wads ( I bought 15,000 when they ceased making them). I place a 20 ga. 1/8" felt wad in the bottom of the shot cup prior to dropping the shot. This allows the crimp to be perfect. They shoot soft and pattern great. Ballistic Specialties makes these felt spacer wads in 12 ga. and 20 ga. If they made a 28 ga. wad I think it would be even better in the 16 ga shot cup. They come in 1/8" and 1/4". You should try both and see which works better for you. I suspect that if you are going from 1 1/8 to 1 oz either will work fine. I can actually get by with the 1/4" too. These felt spacers weigh next to nothing so it does not add to the "payload".
  • hedgehopper62hedgehopper62 Member Posts: 636 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the card wads wads in the shot cups using smaller ga to fit the cups and use a wad colum gage to measure.tks hedge