In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

difference in 25-06 and 30-06?

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
not that I would try this but I am courius, is a 25-06 the same case as a 30-06 just necked smaller, and if so could a 25-06 die neck down a 30-06 to shoot a 25-06? joe

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe's How do you think it got it's name, and where do you think the people that owned one before it became a factory cartridge got there brass? Once you form it, you will want to check the neck wall thickness, reaming/turning may be required.
    35-06 (35 Whelen)
    338-06
    8mm-06
    7mm-06 (280Rem)
    277-06 (270Win)
    6.5-06/264-06
    25-06 (257 Neider)
    Are all baised on the 30-06 case, and all are more/less a simple neck resizing job (note: that some have had there shoulders moved slightly for safety reasons).

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • Options
    The GinralThe Ginral Member Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least in factory brass I'm pretty sure the case is longer.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the difference is 5-06[:o)][8D][:D] I couldn't resist[:0]

yes they can be used by necking one up or the other down (hence the 06 designation)

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    z-hat customs takes a 30-06 case all the way up to a .411. the shoulder is just about gone at that point. it will drive a 360 grain bullet at around 2300 fps. i would like to have one, but have no use for it. also the .375 uses the same case and drives 250 gr bullets at 2700 fps. i think both would be a little much for 150 lb and smaller whitetails. will have one or the other some day.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You can also size 30-06 brass into 7.65X54 Argentine, 7.7X58 Jap, 8mm Mauser, .308 winchester, and a host of others; even .45 acp pistol rounds if you are willing to cut off that much and thing the wall.

Point is, a lot of gun designers were thinking a similar way in the late 1800s and early 1900s, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it...... hence the reason why the 06 case is used as a basis for so many.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Yep you sure can, but I would run them into a 270 die and then the 25/06 die.
    .051 is more than I would like to squeeze down in just one trip.

Doing it twice is always more fun than just doing it once [8D]

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    sam77757sam77757 Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im just curious you dont wanna try any of this being a green horn like my self Right?
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam, after seeing tailgunner advice and talking to justc, I performed a resizing job from a .270 win to fit my 25-06 and besides it being .02 too long (which I trimed) it worked perfectly! thanks to all for the advice.
  • Options
    sam77757sam77757 Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh ok thats Great !! i was a little skeptical about doing it my self but i have a friend thats been loading for years thats helping me with all of this and when i talked to him he said could be done with no problem accept the trimming of the case so thanks everyone!!