In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Nosler Ballistic Tips

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
Ive heard that Noslers Ballistic Tips have thicker walls than the ones made in the early 90's. Anyone know for sure? In 1991, I had one (.270) come completely apart inside a dandy buck at 90 yards standing in a wide open clearing, so I know the bullet didn't knick a branch or anything. Buck went 300 yards after a quarting away shot and took 2 hours to find because of no blood or exit wound. While gutting, I found 5 pieces off lead. I haven't used them since. But with the price of Partitions and Accubonds going up, Ballistic Tips might be worth trying again if they can stay together. Thanks for your opinion.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've read a lot of good reports on the NBT's as deer bullets. I was glad to learn that my finicky .257 Roberts loves the 100 grain version. 3 shot, 100 yard groups are typically under .3/4 inch and velocity is 3,100 plus.
    Problem is that typical range on the eastern whitetails I hunt is around 50 yards. I recently read that the B.T.'s shine at extended range, but may not hold together at high velocity. (i.e. over 3,000 fps.) So, has anyone had experience with the .257, 100 grains on deer size game with impact velocity in the 3K range?
    Thanks,
    Rob

Rob
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been my experience that the Nosler BT is better at close range than bullets that are made to retain much of their weight as they travel through tissue. The BT is designed to fragment as it passes through tissue and therefore on even small deer, it will break up and cause lots of bleeding trauma. I have hit deer that weigh in the range of 100 lbs. These kills were anywhere from 15 yards to 100 yards. They all were anchored using BT bullets. Where I would not use BT bullets is on a heavier deer, where penetration is more difficult and weight retension is of more importance. Probably, for me, the break point is when you expect to encounter deer over 200 lbs.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i can atest to the use of BT's i have a 257 arnold using the 100 grainers at about 3700 fps. ive taken some nice antalope with this round. one was a broad side shot at 438 yards(frind next to me with range finder) straight through the heart. just demolished the heart.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by roysclockgun
    It has been my experience that the Nosler BT is better at close range than bullets that are made to retain much of their weight as they travel through tissue. The BT is designed to fragment as it passes through tissue and therefore on even small deer, it will break up and cause lots of bleeding trauma. I have hit deer that weigh in the range of 100 lbs. These kills were anywhere from 15 yards to 100 yards. They all were anchored using BT bullets. Where I would not use BT bullets is on a heavier deer, where penetration is more difficult and weight retension is of more importance. Probably, for me, the break point is when you expect to encounter deer over 200 lbs.

roysclockgun

I've taken a nice buck at 500 yards with Nosler BT's and the bullet traveled through 12-15" of spine, through the top of the abdominal cavity and finally came to rest in his rear hind quarter. He was laying down and I went for a neck shot. I did not realize that he was laying facing me. He was pushing 200 lbs dressed. I've had excellent penetration with nosler BT's...that was with a 180 grainer out of a .300 Win Mag though. Some of the smaller/lighter Varmint rounds, traveling at super high velocities are known to explode on impact at close ranges though...leaving merely a flesh wound.

I believe you will find the 100 grainers more than adequate to suit your needs.

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My only "failure" if you could call it that, was with a 125gr BT at 7yds fired from a 30-06. The bullet hit the sika deer square in the front chest and made an impact hole about 8" wide. The jacket was found under the hide at about mid-body. The bullet in the scientific sense failed by exploding on impact and shedding the core after hitting the sternum at well over 3000fps. The deer however was set back on it's haunches and died instantly.

Hitting bone with a LIGHT for caliber BT up close and moving at HIGH speed will make for HUGE damage and jacket/core seperation. I have hit them at 50yds with a 150gr BT from a 7mm rem mag and although damage was extensive, the deer was harvested immediately.

Your choice is a good one, just shoot for the boiler room if possible,..BUT DO NOT pass up a shoulder shot if that is all you have. The nosler balistic tip will NOT let you down. Even if it sheds the core with relatively little penetration, it will get you your meat in short order and tracking a deer hit by a BT can be accomplished by Ray Charles.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    gunzforevergunzforever Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they are great
  • Options
    jasonjenningsjasonjennings Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    last year I shot a whitetail at about 40 yards with a 25-06 and th 100grn ballistic tip expanded fully and stopped just inside the hide on the opposite side with a quartering away shot that hit the off side shoulder. I recovered the blue plastic tip, copper jacket and a small piece of the lead core that fit perfectly back in the jacket. The deer ran about 25yds and piled up. I don't think it gets any better, and they shoot accurately at long ranges too. The year before, I shot my buck with the same combination and got a complete pass through on a braodside shot that only hit one rib and devastated the lungs. hope this helps! Good luck. jj
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The original question was in regard to a .257Roberts, 100gr BT with MV of 3100fps. He also said "that typical range on the eastern whitetails I hunt is around 50 yards". Given those details, I would not recommend the BT, due to the high chances of premature blow-up. In that .257Roberts, I'd go with the heavier bullet, probably Sierra Game King and slow it down a bit.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    snickerssnickers Member Posts: 359 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt almost the identical conditions and have had excellent luck with the 115 gr. bt at just under 3100.

MONEY TALKS mine says good-bye
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have shot three deer this year with BT's at very close range(closest was 18 yards and the furthest was aprox. 60 yards} and found with a heart shot that hit no bone that speed will contol what the bullet will do. All three had a pin hole in and a pin hole out and even worst there was no blood trail on two of them. All three ran off at least 50 yards. The bullets group very well but have found that too close and a shot that hits no bone i.e. broad side heart shot BT's and not a good chose. joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All good grist for the mill. Thanks all.
    Think I'll keep working on a load for my old partitions and save the BT for those days at the bench when I want to feel good about how small a hole I can make in the paper.

Rob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    unless your game is heavy, the NBT will show you spectacular harvesting abilities.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    unless your game is heavy, the NBT will show you spectacular harvesting abilities.why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?

JustC is dead on...

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last year shot a small mulie buck quarting away at about 75 yards. the 30/06 165 gr BT entered behind the last rib, traveled thru the deer and exited his nose, leaveing a .30 hole. I'd say these BTs hold togather well!!
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:rollnblock

USA
    169 Posts
    Posted - 11/23/2005 : 6:41:09 PM

i can atest to the use of BT's i have a 257 arnold using the 100 grainers at about 3700 fps.

Cool set up! And nice shot too!

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    My gut feeling on these and I have used them with success is that they perform best when the fps is reduced as they penetrate well. At high velocity short range in thick skinned animals or on bone I am concerned they will disinegrate. However, on long range they penetrate well and hold together well and do some devastating damage.

my2 cents

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"For the strength of the pack is in the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is in the pack." The Jungle Book, Kipling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nosler's website shows many recommendations for deer sized game and heavier. The concensus there is that the Accubond or Partition are better choices for such game animals. Why take the chance on not getting penetration because the bullet prematurely fragments, or in certain instances, is prone to do so?
    The Accubond seems to have the best qualities of both the BT and Partition, in that it will mushroom quickly, retain a high percentage of it's weight and in the rifles in which I have tested Accubond, it is very accurate. It just makes sense to task bullets to do jobs for which the manufacturer recommends them.
    I will not dismiss any of the anecdotal evidence that is presented above, regarding the quick killing ability of the BT. However, any bullet will kill quickly given the right circumstances. It is when conditions are not perfect, that we begin to need the best bullet for the job.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nosler's website shows many recommendations for deer sized game and heavier. The concensus there is that the Accubond or Partition are better choices for such game animals. Why take the chance on not getting penetration because the bullet prematurely fragments, or in certain instances, is prone to do so?
    The Accubond seems to have the best qualities of both the BT and Partition, in that it will mushroom quickly, retain a high percentage of it's weight and in the rifles in which I have tested Accubond, it is very accurate. It just makes sense to task bullets to do jobs for which the manufacturer recommends them.
    I will not dismiss any of the anecdotal evidence that is presented above, regarding the quick killing ability of the BT. However, any bullet will kill quickly given the right circumstances. It is when conditions are not perfect, that we begin to need the best bullet for the job.

roysclockgun

Just something to keep in mind Roy...I've killed somewhere between 75-125 deer with Nosler BT's, and I have not had ONE that has performed poorly. I'll take personal experience over hype any day.[:)]

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    edited November -1
    ECC did write: "that was with a 180 grainer out of a .300 Win Mag though"

ECC later did write: "Just something to keep in mind Roy...I've killed somewhere between 75-125 deer with Nosler BT's, and I have not had ONE that has performed poorly. I'll take personal experience over hype any day."

No offense, but the original question was regarding a 100gr NBT in a .257Roberts. Hardly compares to ECC's 180gr NBT fired from a .300WinMag. It must be taken as given, that to hit "75-125 deer" with a 180gr pill from a .300 WinMag, one has a much greater chance of anchoring those deer, then the same hits with 100gr bullets from a .257Robers chambered rifle. Weight, velocity and BC, would all swing the advantage to the .300WinMag.
    A couple years back, Dicks Sporting Goods, here in Md., got out of reloading supplies and I bought some 180gr NBT bullets very inexpensively. I loaded these up for my 30-06 rifle and killed six deer, grave yard dead, using them. Fact is, on those six shots, I could have been using my 22-250 with varmint loads, simply because the range and size of the deer precluded any sort of difficulty in putting the deer down. My feeling is that in order to be ready for any sort of difficult situation on a deer shot, one has to have a bullet loaded that promises to keep it's integrity, even on a tough shot, regardless of what the bullet encounters. Robert Ruark wrote: "Use enough gun!" I would only add: "If better bullets are available, use the best that you can find!" Of course, whatever has been working for upwards of 100 deer, has to be okay. It is hard to compare hunting experiences, given the wide variety of issues that can alter the playing field.

roysclockgun
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ECC did write: "that was with a 180 grainer out of a .300 Win Mag though"

ECC later did write: "Just something to keep in mind Roy...I've killed somewhere between 75-125 deer with Nosler BT's, and I have not had ONE that has performed poorly. I'll take personal experience over hype any day."

No offense, but the original question was regarding a 100gr NBT in a .257Roberts. Hardly compares to ECC's 180gr NBT fired from a .300WinMag. It must be taken as given, that to hit "75-125 deer" with a 180gr pill from a .300 WinMag, one has a much greater chance of anchoring those deer, then the same hits with 100gr bullets from a .257Robers chambered rifle. Weight, velocity and BC, would all swing the advantage to the .300WinMag.
    A couple years back, Dicks Sporting Goods, here in Md., got out of reloading supplies and I bought some 180gr NBT bullets very inexpensively. I loaded these up for my 30-06 rifle and killed six deer, grave yard dead, using them. Fact is, on those six shots, I could have been using my 22-250 with varmint loads, simply because the range and size of the deer precluded any sort of difficulty in putting the deer down. My feeling is that in order to be ready for any sort of difficult situation on a deer shot, one has to have a bullet loaded that promises to keep it's integrity, even on a tough shot, regardless of what the bullet encounters. Robert Ruark wrote: "Use enough gun!" I would only add: "If better bullets are available, use the best that you can find!" Of course, whatever has been working for upwards of 100 deer, has to be okay. It is hard to compare hunting experiences, given the wide variety of issues that can alter the playing field.

roysclockgun

Roy...that was one example out of many. I've taken 8 this year with a .243 and 95 gr BT's (and will take 10-15 more). Next year it's be with a 7mm SAUM. Several years ago, I took my farthest shot ever and killed one at just over 1000 yards with a 25-06 and BT's. From 5 yards to 1000, with a wide range of calibers and bullet weights...all good results. JustC has probably taken several hundred deer with BT's. Most of the folks I know that use them, swear by them. Just relating personal experience here. Use whatever you get the best results with...I know I do...that's precisely why I'm stuck on Nosler BT's.

BTW...Best of luck with the remainder of hunting season[:)]

Eric

www.galleryofguns.com

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My 14" 257 JDJ killed all the deer it ever hit with the light weight 85gr BT's from 64 yards out to 312 yards @ 2800 fps back when I used it instead of my newer go to work pistol using 140 BT's at the same speed.
    They both will drop lung shot deer closer than they do when I use 220 gr Hornadys out of my 14" 375 JDJ.
    I wish I could get the 260gr BT's to open up in that same 375 JDJ, because I sure would use them.

Anything that needs done, the BT's will do it in fine fashion.

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Anything that needs done, the BT's will do it in fine fashion.

I'll drink to that[8D] The NBT has become my "go-to" pill. Of course we don't have elk or large bear here either.

The NBT is probably the closest hunting bullet to match accuracy I have seen. They WILL *-er-done on all deer and lesser game.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    ironquackerironquacker Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used 257 NBT'S in my 25-06,it's not a Roberts, and I love the performance.I have used them anywhere from 25 to 200 yards on game from woodchuck to whitetail deer and they have performed very well.I do hear complaints that other guys have said ranging from not enough expansion to loosing to much meat.I believe the reasons for these complaints are poor placement of shots.If you would like e-mail me at quacker@pennswoods.net if you have any questions or would like some starting loads.

slwhitfield
  • Options
    sam77757sam77757 Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i used a 257 roberts with 85 gr BT and never had the first minutes trouble finding hit game as far as im concerned it doesnt have to be a pin point shot, you hit a deer close to any vitals and you will find the animal even with the 257 roberts!!!!