In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 10ML and 250gr XTP recovered (pic)

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
I recovered this remainder of a Hornady 250gr 50cal XTP bullet from the neck of a Sika deer. I shot this deer on the salt marsh last night and recovered the slug when I loaded it into the "gator", it fell out of the offside neck where it had impacted at 76yds (verified with Leica 1200 LRF). The pill and a peice only weigh 144.8gr on the Pact scale. The projectile only retained 57.9% of it's original weight, but at 145gr's left over, it definitely shows it's ability to be a 200yd gun[8D]

100_0756.jpg

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
Got Balistics?

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I recovered this remainder of a Hornady 250gr 50cal XTP bullet from the neck of a Sika deer. I shot this deer on the salt marsh last night and recovered the slug when I loaded it into the "gator", it fell out of the offside neck where it had impacted at 76yds (verified with Leica 1200 LRF). The pill and a peice only weigh 144.8gr on the Pact scale. The projectile only retained 57.9% of it's original weight, but at 145gr's left over, it definitely shows it's ability to be a 200yd gun[8D]

100_0756.jpg

Got Balistics?

Too bad you can not get Nosler BT's that large...or at least I don't think you can[;)][:)] Still did the job though.[:)]

How much powder did you have behind it? I'm kind of suprized that it wasn't a through and through...

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    Daniel HomerDaniel Homer Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY [:D]

(\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

"Move and the bunny gets it"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Eric, that was shoved by 44gr of N110 and lit by a winchester 209. I recall is running somewhere near the mid 2400fps range over the chrono.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did the XTP hit bone and is that what caused it to come apart?

I've only managed to recover one of the three 250 grain XTPs I've put through game this year (1 coyote & 2 does) but it was just about a perfect mushroom shape. That doe only gave a frontal shot and the bullet was found just before the hip. Anyway, I do like the XTPs - I assume you're actually shooting the .452 caliber slugs?

And the Savage ML-10 - what a cool gun. I sure like shooting guns more than cleaning them. I can't really think of much that could make that a better muzzleloader - well maybe that crappy looking stock, but who cares when a gun shoots that well & is so easy to shoot & live with.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes they are the .452" slugs. The 250gr XTP and SST are both .452" and the 240gr XTP is .451" (although it grouped equally as well). That pill, I beleive hit the neck bone/spine and the speed caused that damage to it. I had the rest just buzz through but do enough damage to not lose the game ans they ran far less than the same pill in my rem700 with 100gr pyrodex. The remains just show how much faster and more powerful the Savage 10ML is compared to the others. I love this muzzle-loader[8D]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Justin,
    I hope your Sika looked as nice as these two that didn't like 115 BT's out of my 25/284 rifle.

Never did find the bullets, as they sailed right on through both lungs on both of them.

Sure do love those BT's
    iwqk9s.jpg

Gun control is hitting what your aiming at.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    mrbruce,...jeezuskeeerist where did you shoot those sika deer? Here on the eastern shore of MD in the marsh, if you get a 6 point deer it is wall mount worthy (125lbs is a huge deer) I have seen an 8 point but never got a shot (bow). Our marsh sika will never get the size or the rack of those you have. Where are they from[?]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    mrbruce,...jeezuskeeerist where did you shoot those sika deer? Here on the eastern shore of MD in the marsh, if you get a 6 point deer it is wall mount worthy (125lbs is a huge deer) I have seen an 8 point but never got a shot (bow). Our marsh sika will never get the size or the rack of those you have. Where are they from[?]

Got Balistics?

Every thing is bigger in the free ranging Lone Star State !!
    That was a lot of years ago, and I miss not doing it.
    I do remember the biggest one like it was this morning.
    I darned near dropped the pistol when I saw it.

(I had rifle on my brain when I did the first post )

• Options
    edited November -1
    I suppose they are transplants from Japan as well as ours? do you have the marshy areas in TX that they prefer? or is the rack and body a result of them adapting to agriculture and dryer farm land areas? Ours come out of the marsh to eat, but then travel back for their habitat.

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin-
    These Sika's came from West of San Antonio, and are as near as I could tell from the locals are crossed Dybowski & Formosan's, and they are bigger than the Japanese that are in Md.
    They seem to thrive in the Texas Hill Country and I can only assume that the high limestone content has some to do with the antler size.

They like acorns better than our whiteails do.......and can get downright nasty during the rut.

Did you know that there are more of them in Texas than any other one spot in the world ??

• Options
    edited November -1
    Did not know that. Those are really nice sika. Do they bugle like our marsh deer do? These sound just like a little ELK when they get started[8D] That is one of my favorite things[^]

I understand ours were introduced some time back. When were those introduced?

What does a free range hunt on those puppies go for[:p]

Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Justin-
    They do, or did anyway, sound alot like the Elk bugling, but it's usually 3 times kinda quick, and not so deep, and then they make a different sound when they are ticked off at whatever they get ticked off at, and that is usually during the rut.
    Hard to explain, but sounds kinda like deep chuckle of sorts, and again three times usually.
    It's been 20 years, and I was on private property, so I can't help with the cost.
    I'll bet you could find a place for around $1500.00, but please don't hold me to that.
    Never asked when they came to Texas, I was just glad they were there.
    Have you ever noticed they have like webs between there toes ??
    it keeps them high and dry like a duck [8D]
    I would like to return and find a Nilgai someday, and see if he likes my .284XP.
    You need to be closer to the coast for that, and I think the Sika would like that area also.
    It's fun to day dream anyway.

• Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought it was sitka
  • Options
    edited November -1
    actually it is pronounced (at least by the DNR) as "seeka". Here at least that is what they say[;)]
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for your information. I shot a smaller Elk this year with a 300gr. 50 caliber Nosler partation. These bullets were very accurate in my muzzleloader and killed quickly. The on side shoulder had bloodshot areas even though it was not directly hit. My load was 100 grs. 777
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, I've been considering on of the savage ML's just so I shoot and hunt instead of shoot, clean, shoot, clean.

JustC you said you are shooting 2400 fps with it. That's enough to convince me. Just what can you get out of the savage 10ML??
  • Options
    DGVDGV Member Posts: 6
    edited November -1
    I too am interested in a Savage muzzleloader. Do you have any dislikes with yours?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I suggest you guys check out www.sav10ml.com the guys there have worked their rigs over thoroughly. I beleive with some of the duplex loads and also some of the powders they have experimented with that 2700fps has been accomplished. I think they have gotten 2400fps from a 300gr SST If I recall correctly.

The only dislikes I have are:
    1. Lack of bedding. (this is part of my accuracy addiction though)
    2. the fact that the rifle must be loosened from the stock to take out the breech plug. Then a retorque sequence. Bedding is supposed to fix this. Also, some guys are having a third pillar installed to maintain the Action torque when the front screw is removed to get the breech plug out.

Mine will be going to the gunsmith soon for bedding and possibly the 3rd pillar.

This is however the most powerful muzzleloader I have ever fired and it's impact is impressive when you recover your animal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by young n dum
    I always thought it was sitka
    I always thought Sitka was a Blacktail, not a Sika.