In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

165gn Sierra Game King Vs. 150lbs Hog

ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well men I came back with some meat this past weekend and got to test out the Sierra Game King on a decent size hog.

I carried my freaking 15lbs long range rig in 308win hoping to take a shot at 300 + yards and ended up getting this pig at 35 yards. [:(!]

Load was 165gn Sierra Game King
Pushed by 44.5gn of Varget lit by a CCIBR2 Primer in a Federal Gold Medal Case. 2.80 OAL

The Game King did the job fairly quickly. I shot him from on top of a ridge as he was coming up. Broad side shot behind the shoulders. Bullet passed straight through and made a decent size exit. Probably a 2.5" hole.

When cleaning the sucker I found what looks like to be the major part of the jacket of the Game King.

Bad or good? For you expert hunters please give input. [B)]

A big plus of these bullets are that they track pretty close to the 175gn Sierra Match King (which is my match load). My dope is almost dead nuts out to 300yards.

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ContacFront
    Well men I came back with some meat this past weekend and got to test out the Sierra Game King on a decent size hog.

I carried my freaking 15lbs long range rig in 308win hoping to take a shot at 300 + yards and ended up getting this pig at 35 yards. [:(!]

Load was 165gn Sierra Game King
    Pushed by 44.5gn of Varget lit by a CCIBR2 Primer in a Federal Gold Medal Case. 2.80 OAL

The Game King did the job fairly quickly. I shot him from on top of a ridge as he was coming up. Broad side shot behind the shoulders. Bullet passed straight through and made a decent size exit. Probably a 2.5" hole.

When cleaning the sucker I found what looks like to be the major part of the jacket of the Game King.

Bad or good? For you expert hunters please give input. [B)]

A big plus of these bullets are that they track pretty close to the 175gn Sierra Match King (which is my match load). My dope is almost dead nuts out to 300yards.

No expert here...but a dead hog...sounds good to me[:p][:)]

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ContactFront,

Eric said it all for the record. The hog is dead and you successfully harvested the meat.

However, when analyzing the preformance, this is typical of the .30 cal. 165 gr. GameKing bullets, unfortunately. It is mentioned in magazines and on most of the forums on the internet and I've experienced it myself. They are notorious for jacket separation and in some questionable situations, lost game.

You will also hear the other side where folks will stand up and holler that this is blasphemy, stating that these bullets have always performed flawlessly and that they are very accurate. They are entitled to their opinion. I used to use them, until they failed me, then I moved on to the many, many better designed and better performing bullets that don't have this drawback.

I'm certain that you could find another bullet that will match your other load. If you want help, let me know.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys.

My goal was to build up a long range hunting load so I figured since I wanted to shoot 300+ I would have to have a really accurate load that tracked well.

It did make short work of that hog, even when I was off my mark by snap shooting it from the standing position.

Just wondering if that hog was 250lbs instead of 150lbs, I would of had some issues I bet.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My balistic tips almost always shed the jacket. I know this because I find them when I am dressing the animal[}:)][:D] I'd say the bullet worked well, JMHO. I don't use them so have no other results or data to go with.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks JustC,

I think I will keep on shooting these bad boys till they fail me.
  • Options
    mac59mac59 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shot a mule deer at 50 yds walking right at me, between the front two legs with a Sierra Game King. Was shooting .243 Win with 100 gr. bullets. He went down in his tracks like a ton of bricks, but the jacket did separate and fragment. I use a Barnes original now in my .243 with better results.
  • Options
    chillechezchillechez Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont know much about the 308win ,i shoot the 300 Weatherby Accumark .I have used Sierra , Nosler and Speer bullets,but now i exclusively use the Barnes Triple Shock its awesome they dont fragment or fall apart. They hold together . Try the 168 grain match grade hunting bullet in the TSX from Barnes, a little expensive but worth the money.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your experience of a 30 yard shot...anticipating 300 yards is similiar to one of my experiences. On a Montana Elk hunt, my guide jumped 3 elk and two ran within 20 yards of me...and I shot the largest of the two bulls no more than 20 yards away.

Sadly...my guide shot the largest Bull...apparently he did not know where I was at the time...I had climbed a fairly steep mountain and I was just below the ridge...and my guide was just below the ridge on the other side of the mountain....so two of the three elk ran over the ridge and there I was right in front of them.

The moral is...you never know!!! I was carrying a .300 Win Mag...and at 20 yards...that Elk just flew off his feet with a front shoulder shot.
  • Options
    BigoledudeBigoledude Member Posts: 39
    edited November -1
    Hey Mac9
    How much better can the results be? You want those Sierra's to hang and gut him too?