In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

TIKKA OR KIMBER

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
Okay boys I'm still thinking of a 300 WSM. Question is is the Kimber worth $450 more than the TIKKA and if so why? I'm looking at the synthetic stock stainless barrel models. Thanks

Scout

Comments

• Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scouts,

I am looking into the Tikka T3 Lite myself. 308, not 300WSM.

From what I am reading so far is that the stainless ones are having a hard time holding a tight group and just the standard steel is not having problems getting under 1"groups. Pretty good for a light weight hunting rifle for under 500 bucks.

I have also eyeballed the Kimber line of rifles. Great gun but if I was going to spend that kind of money I rather have a 700Action with a custom barrel put on. Almost the same ball park when it comes to money.

Right now I think the Tikka is going to be my next light weight beater for hunting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Contact I'm really leaning that way myself. Tikka seams a real buy for the money and this rifle will be used hard. I've decided to buy 2 rifles instead of one for everything (everything big game that is, I'll need another varmit rifle)
    Bouncing around with the idea of 270 or 30 cal. for one and 338 for the other. Seems the 300 wsm will load down for game antelope size and up for elk size game. Then the 338 or 375 for Alaskan moose, and bear. Was going to go 300 win mag for every thing but why buy just one when 2 is an option. But I want my smaller rifle to still be able to handle larger game if it needs to. That's why I'm looking at the 300 wsm or maybe the old standby 30-06.

So question: If you was going to but a larger rifle anyway would you get the 300 wsm or 30-06.

Thanks.......Scout
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Scout5,

Before you buy a Tikka check out this link.

http://www.northcarolinasportsman.com/news/2005/January/sako-recall.htm

I believe most of the problem has been resolved but please do check out the serial number before you buy.

That being said,

There isn't much in North America the good ole 30-06 will not kill but the 300WSM kicks its booty in ballistics.

I would take the 300WSM, it will do everything the 3006 will do and THEN SOME.

300WSM lauching 200gn or 180gn Nosler Accubonds would take down most game, even at range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Contact,

Thanks a lot. I really want one of the 300 WSM's. Just trying to talk myself into it. I do think the cartridge is here to stay.

Scout
  • Options
    WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-06, 125-220gr wide selection of ammunition.
    Every store that sells ammo has .06 on hand always.
    My .02
  • Options
    young n dumyoung n dum Member Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    email sent....tikka....best rifle on the planet for the $
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing I do not like about Tikka is its safety mechanism. It doesn't look and feel sturdy (IMHO), in fact the display gun I was looking at in one of our local gun shop is stuck ... my 2-pence worth.
  • Options
    david mcintyredavid mcintyre Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a T3 SS and it is a very accurate rifle. the ads on them say they don't leave the factory till they shoot 1 in. group. i believe at 100 yrds. they will do it. ladder tested mine and found 3 sweet spots. downloading due to recoil is not a problem. I bought it over the Savage and the Ruger because it was a lighter rifle and the trigger on them is great. Came new with a 3 lb. pull, perfect and adjustable if you want more or less. I also bought the same in a 22-250, so i can shoot varmits and yotes all year. Same weight, trigger, so when big game season rolls around I'm ready to go. Check one out, the action is smooth.
  • Options
    rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TIKKA!! I have 3 Tikkas (.338 stainless, 25/06blue, 30/06 blue) and 1 Kimber 7/08. The tikkas are so smooth, well balanced and accurate its inhuman. The Kimbers are nice looking and lite, but not worth the MANY extra bucks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lots of advice, thanks. Rover you having both and comparing really helps. Young thanks for the note I'm sold.
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the Tikka, my Stainless T3 in .25-06 has never failed to produce 3 shot groups below an inch at 100yds. Smoooooth bolt, low lift, super trigger, excellent balance...awesome gun.
    mo2.JPG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Cletus and congrats on a nice buck.

Scout
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are welcome scout, got him on opening day in '04 here in Missouri. 115gr Nosler Ballistic tip, my handloads chronos 3150 fps. 1 shot 300 yds Dead where he stood.

This .740" 3 shot group at 100yds is my typical group from this rifle and load. If I played with it some more...might get even better who knows? It was the first load I tried, and I figured it was good enough for deer.
    target.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Cletus,

That right there made up my mind. Looks like I need to find a T3 in a 308. Is that the T3 Lite?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes it is the T3 Lite Stainless. What I really like is the fact that even though the gun is light, the weight is balanced ever so slightly forward because of the medium contour barrel. Makes the gun balance perfectly after the scope is mounted, which in turn makes those long shots just a little easier.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cletus,

Thanks for the hard info. Lots of positives on the Tikka rifles and few negatives. I plan on having one for this fall. I've been wanting a 25-06 but I can't buy that many rifles and I need one for most everything so I'm buying a 30 cal first.

Scout