In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

270 Weatherby Mag

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
well i found one of these in a winchester 70 xtr and couldn't pass it up. i hear that weatherby uses max loads of imr 7828 for all their factory loads. will definitely be reloading for this and figure on going with 130 or 140 gr nosler partition bullet. didn't know if anyone has this gun and what they shoot in it. shoot me some suggestions on powder and other bullets if you have any.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it doesn't have the wthby freebore, I would NOT look for wthby velocity. The freebore adds some velocity by giving the pill a running start.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    how much loss am i looking at?
  • Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The beauty of the 270 Weatherby is the fact that you can drive 150 grain bullets at the same speed, or even faster, than the 270 Winchester can drive its 130s. I wouldn't worry about freebore, or lack thereof, as the model 70 will shoot factory "hot" ammunition, and rifles with freebore require more powder to do the same work as rifles without it.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't be suprised to see 100fps +/- and maybe a tad more loss. The freebore gives that pill a running start at the rifling which equates to velocity. That was the wthby way of successfully claiming the fastest shooting and hardest hitting factory ammo/rifles around. The caveat to that speed is that the freebore allows the pill to enter the rifling at a canted angle due to the freebore in the wthby being a few .001"s over bore diameter. If the freebore is cut very tight to bore groove diameter, the freebore is not as detrimental to accuracy.
  • Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    bperdue21-
    IMR7828 is the best powder I've found for the 270 Wby. I tried RL22 and H1000, and both gave pressure signs well before recommended maximums were reached, and yet RL22 works well in the 300 Win mag. Why that was so with the lot of powder I had, I can't answer, but as a result I don't care for the RL series and H1000 powders as they vary significantly from lot to lot forcing you to alter powder charge weights. IMR7828 was much more consistent in my experience, and it fits well with the 270 Wby.
    If I were starting again with the 270 Wby, I'd try V-V N170, and stick to 150 or 160 grain partition bullets, or maybe Barnes's tripple shock as I'm of the opinion that 130 grain bullets don't belong in the Wby round. The 270 Winchester can make big holes with 130s, so imagine what would happen with an additional 200+ FPS.
    I hesitate to list data as I've not seen much of it here, and each rifle is unique with no one size, or reload as it were, fitting all.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have reloaded for weatherby mags before, i had a 257 weatherby mark V ultra lightweight. it didn't have any freebore. i loaded it with a slightly under max charge of imr 7828 and a 117 gr hornady btsp. might even go with the 160 gr nosler partition, but i will have to get the nosler manual as my speer and hornady only make to 150. IF ANYONE HAS THE LATEST NOSLER MANUAL PLEASE LIST THE LISTED LOADS FOR THE 160 GR .277 BULLET. i doubt 100 fps will really hurt me too terribly much. i appreciate it from both of you.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nosler Fifth Edition Reloading Guide : 270 Weatherby Magnum -- 160 gr. Partition Semi-Spitzer. -- 26" Lija bbl -- Weatherby Case -- Federal 215 Primer. -- IMR7828 starting load (2931 fps) = 66.0 grs -- IMR7828 Maximum load (3098 fps) = 70.0 grs.(listed as most accurate load with this powder).
    They also list data for : IMR4350, IMR4831, RL22, H4831, Viht.N560, and AA3100. -- Let me know if you want data for another powder( wasn't sure from your post)......................best.........[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nope, that was what i was looking for, thanks.