In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How much powder do you keep?

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
I was at a gunshow today and I bought some reloading stuff, when I got home and was organizing the new junk that I bought I noticed I had over 25lbs of unopened canisters of gunpowder. Of course different powders but how much do you keep on hand I really don't think I "need" this much sitting around, it just seems that in the last year or so I have had much more time to buy reloading supplies than I have had to actually reload. I know some of you won't be comfortable stating how much you own, because you're worried about people reading your posts on the internet, so just say if you keep more or less around than I do. The gunpowder is in proportion to everything else as I have hundreds of thousands of empties, and probably 30,000 primers of all shapes and sizes, or more, and lots of bullets/shot to go with it all, but I'm just wondering do I keep alot more on hand than everyone else?

Comments

• Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every year when IMR goes on sale I buy a case, plus I usually keep a keg or two of 4895 for the M1. When I was shooting trap I kept much more powder than I do now.
  • Options
    The Load RoomThe Load Room Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't counted mine either but a close guess would be five to ten cans unopened and about ten open, maybe five to ten k primers, as far as empties ("hundreds of thousands" [:0][:D]) I have maybe two thousand? it'd be interesting to see how many others hoard as much [:D][^]
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    About 8 unopened, and 5 opened, along with probably 20K or more different primers, and a ton of bullets.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How long can one store powder? What is the shelf life?
    I ask this, because I bought some powder 3 years ago, planning on starting to reload. My wife got pregnanat, reloading went to the back burner, now I am figuring on getting started again. Is my unopend 3.5 year old powder still good?
  • Options
    Idaho Elk HuntrIdaho Elk Huntr Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I purchased 30 lbs of RL 25 last week. It was all the same lot so I grabbed it. I use RL 25, 15, 19 , 22. H1000, 4831, 110, 4227, BMG 50, IMR 7828, 4350, 4821, 4895 and have a good stash of RL 12.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    How long can one store powder? What is the shelf life?
    I ask this, because I bought some powder 3 years ago, planning on starting to reload. My wife got pregnanat, reloading went to the back burner, now I am figuring on getting started again. Is my unopend 3.5 year old powder still good?

Unopened your grandkids, kids can use it. The stuff last forever if it's kept high and dry............
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mrbruce is right, I am loading H380 from the metal IMR can that I inherited prolly 9yrs ago. I am guessing this can at a good 15yrs old at least, and it loads just right. The 22-250 it is being loaded in runs in the .3"s, so I know the powder is still good.[;)]
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Dave W.

Actually, there is a federal law that stipulates the maximum amount of powder a private individual can have on hand and how to store. Once you get into the range that you are at, the storage vessel can become quite expensive. Surprised me when I read that info.

I have 20 pounds of powder and 5000 primers.

Loaded ammo stored in one cabinet. Primers in another. Powder in another.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Lemme see here, I keep almost enough powder on hand to fill all 2 million cases a coupla times; enough primers that I had to add on a small room, and enough bullets to equip our troops for the next 3 years.
    I probably shoot 50K rounds a year while plinking, around 100 prior to hunting, and at least (lessee: 40 shots/match, 2-3 matches/week, 51 weeks/year) several hundred target shooting.
    That's not counting all the rimfire stuff, either!
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Metal cans will keep powder for a huge bunch of years.

The old 'cardboard' cannisters will allow moisture to enter...and the powder degrade.
    I still have some 4831 from 40 years ago..still gets within a few feet a second as the newer stuff..might need just a touch more...