In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

30-06, 300 Win Mag, 270 and 30-30 rounds - Help

worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
I want to know about any and all shells for the calibers i named - i was told to find a reloading manual for them for whati want to know - i want to knows about the drop of each brand at specific ranges - i want to know about fps and impact velocity - i want to be an expert on these calibers - If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction i would be very happy

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A reloading Manual and a ballistic software program will help you. Reading every book available on the subject will also help.

Just remember some important facts. The listed MV of factory ammo and the MV you get from your gun may vary by a large margin. The only way to determine what is real world is to shoot the ammo over the chronograph to get the true MV. When you have "real" data you will know the drop and energy at each distance much more accurately.
  • worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok - where can i find this software and donwloadable manuals - i am only 15 and i am going hunting for the first time next season but i wanna know everything i can - i know that the info i want is in no way really going to benefit me but i still want to know
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    worstenemy453,

This is a good site for figuring out drops and windage, where you want to zero etc.:

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj/traj.html

If you want factory velocities then do a search for each manufacturer that you know. Winchester publishes velocity as does Federal. Remington does not. Also, go to www.hodgdon.com and www.alliantpowder.com and www.accuratearms.com These are powder makers and have a limited amount of reloading information on hand. these will give you velocities to work out trajectories with.

Sorry, didn't see your second post about going hunting...will need to include this: http://www.nosler.com/index.php?p=15&b=25cal

Pick your caliber and figure out what you want to shoot. As a long time shooter and reloader I want to warn you to be cautious about going for max velocity. Go for best accuracy. A lot of times you will find it near the top, just not at the top.

-good luck!
    edited November -1
    i know my dad told me about grains and that the max grain isnt the best - like we were talking about 300's i think and he said the biggest grain is a 220 but he prefers the 180's - we were either talkin bout 300's or 30-06, i cant remember but thanx for the info so far - i would really like to find out what software bpost was talking about
    edited November -1
    btw - ill most likely be using a 30-06 but all those calibers i posted are my dads guns so i might get stuck with one of the others - going after whitetail - i will be using a 357 Mag eventually cuz i wanna pistol hunt for some reason but that will be after my grand pa gives me the long barrel 357 and the redhawk 44 = )
    edited November -1
    can someone else help me out a little bit - [:)]
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't go wrong with a 30-06 or .270 for whitetail. Don't worry about numbers and hunting on the net. Get your grimy paws on a rifle, go to the range, and shoot. Listen to the old men who have hunted for years. Keep your mouth closed and listen. Take notes. Shooting is only 1% of hunting.
    Oh, yes 150 or 165 gr in the '06 and 130 gr bullet in the .270
  • awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Worst, welcome to the forum.
    Since they are your dad's guns, offer to help him shoot up all the old ammo that he has. Try all the guns. Pick the one that fits you the best. Then, practice, practice, practice.
    Sight in at the "usual" range for most of your shots.
    Shot placement is much more important that a "big bang".
    Good luck on the hunt. And, show us some pics of your trophy.
  • tinmantinman Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Sierra ballistics program Version 5.1 and it will tell you all you need to know as long as you tell it what you know. I have all the reloading books out there and still they dont tell me my gun, twist, or elevation. happy shopping