In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 LR Match ammo suggestions

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
Recently added a new old rifle to my collection- should be a good shooter from the bench. Have not been impressed with Green Tag (other than the price- THAT was impressive) Any thoughts on a good 22 LR Match round? Appreciate your insights.... Oh- rifle is a Mossberg 44US.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Winchester T-22, Remington Match, Eley, etc. Try some different ones to see what your gun likes best. I take about 12 different one when I get a different 22.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    A lot of the guys that I shoot silhoutte with shoot Wolf Match .22. The price isn't as bad as the Eley stuff but, from what I have seen, it shoots just as good.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf Match target is good stuff. The thing to remember is that a 22 LR is the most difficult round to find the best ammo for. Lot to lot variances can have big impact upon accuracy. It can be one senisitive little bugger for sure.
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    I was going to suggest the CCI Green Tag.
    My 44US(D) loves it. I tried the Winchester T-22 and the Remington Target but since it shot so well with the Green Tag, I haven't tried other target ammo after that.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    UncleFuddUncleFudd Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone actually tried the Federal match ammo?

A few years ago the gold medals were won by american kids using Federal, match ammo. It was my understanding Federal had completely redesigned rimfire cartridges and the results were the first gold won by something other than european ammo in 40 or 50 years.

I had seen some of it right after and then no more. The rim was so radical it almost looked like a centerfire. An actual dimple in the center.

Just food for thought and something you might check.

UF
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I use a lot of Federal Champion target standard velocity. I can only find it at Dick's Sporting Goods. It works as well for me as the expensive brands and it is $17.99 for a brick of 500. Like any 22 rifle, I would recommend buying a box of everything you can find and try it. You can never tell what a 22LR will like. My Winchester 52 shoots the same size groups with Eley 10x and Winchester Wildcats.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cci green tag. bar none.[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx for the replies, gents. Gee- spending a day at the range accuracy testing assorted 22 ammo. Oh what a HORRIBLE fate! [:p] Will probably try a box of everything I can get my hands on- and will try your suggestions. The standard cheap Federal bulk has actually shot quite well in many of my 22s, and used to shoot Eley 10X in pistol matches. Looking for some of Fiocchi Match as well. If I find anything that is really good, will post it here. BTW, the rebated center is an OLD technique- have some .30 RF and .32 RF that was made that way- stronger case head.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Good plan...try as many different brands as you can...sometimes you will be surprised how good some of the cheaper stuff shoots. When you find one the gun likes buy as much of that lot as you can. Things can change lot to lot, believe it or not. My gun loves the Federal Match...shoots 10 inside 1 inch at 100 yards...at 50 yards which is more practical, well inside 3/8 inch and this is a Remington 581 and not the best trigger.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine prefers the greentag,..sorry no help here.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Federal Match is the way to go
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my rifles and in my wifes rifles, we use ELEY TENEX, WOLF MATCH EXTRA, RWS R50, RWS RIFLE MATCH, FEDERAL 711, and WINCHESTER SUPER MATCH GOLD. Try lots of different brands and when you find what it likes. Buy cases (not bricks), but cases of the ammo.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i have a rem.581 left hand .22 rifle that will put 5 rounds of PMC ZAPPERS into damn near one hole at 50yds with a 12x leupold scope,from a bench rest, i have a heavy barreled 52 win. and a heavy barreled ruger 77/22, rem 541-s that i have a lot of money in that will not do better. go figure. eastbank.
  • Options
    peppersacpeppersac Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RWS match is a must. My Kimber HS 22 loves it!