In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AR 15 loads

Will an AR handle .223 bolt gun loads? Or is the action not recommended for bolt gun pressures?

It is a dpms lower with a rock river upper with a wilson barrel 24" 1-8 twist

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you are asking about factory loads, yes. If hand loads.probably. You should not load over max pressure for anything [;)]
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I never exceed max loads I have always heard that semi-auto's could not take max loads.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends on the semi auto. Depends on the powder, bullet, etc.

In short, any gun that will work in a semi auto will work in a bolt gun. The reverse is not necessarily true.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you start jerking rims or case heads off, you're about 3 steps over what's safe. I'm not that experienced with AR reloading but I decided to be conservative until I learned more about them. I'm having good results staying 1-2 grains below listed max loads with a powder specifically designed for the .223. I don't intend to beatup an expensive piece of aluminum.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What powder is specifically for the AR?
    Never heard of any.

I reload and am curious?

I use 24.5gr of IMR4895 in mine.

Thanks!
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    csjs1194 I do not believe the firearms industry has two different pressure levels for ammo...one for semi auto and one for bolt actions. A 223 is a 223 and can be fired in either.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

As noted previously, there is one SAAMI spec for .223 rounds. With a fast powder the AR rifle will handle safe loads from any bolt action. Remember how it works. The bolt-head is locked up while firing and doesn't come unlocked until the bullet is out of the barrel. Gas pressures from a fast burning powder have decreased enough that they should be safe to cycle the bolt.

Topkick,

I use 23.8 gr. of AA2015 behind a 60 gr. bullet. In normal temps that gives me about 2950 fps. The reason I use that is it burns faster and is cleaner. Back when I was first loading for my AR I was using 4895 too and I noted it was full of carbon when I got done. I was used to nasty dirty AR15's so I thought it couldn't be improved. That is until I tried my bolt gun load in it and it's much cleaner when I'm done firing. It's still a nasty dirty filthy pig compared to a bolt rifle for cleaning. Just not as bad as it used to be.
  • TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks sandwarrier!
  • Eternal Sun 111666Eternal Sun 111666 Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Topkick
    What powder is specifically for the AR?
    Never heard of any.

I reload and am curious?

I use 24.5gr of IMR4895 in mine.

Thanks!

For my AR15 style weapon (Bushmaster and a Smith & Wesson; and for general plinking fun) I use 24.0 gr of Hodgdon H335; also I use 25.0 gr of Win 748; 55gr bullet; 1:9 twist barrel; assorted brass. I have had good luck with both loadings.
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior, What kind of brass are you using with the AA2015 load...commercial, once fired military?
  • ClaimbusterClaimbuster Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do not load anything up to the "melt down" point. Accuracy is far more important to me than bragging rights at the range that I have developed the first 5000 fps 223 load. Besides, I shoot a lot and I want to keep my barrels in reasonable condition as long as I can.

This, in part, may be attributable to lowering testosterone levels associated with age. [:D][:D][:D]

Therefore, many of my bolt action loads shoot very well in my AR's.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In answer to the question about what powder I refer to, AA2230. It evolved from AA223 which was intended for use in 5.56/223. It will work in many different cases but was originally meant to provide a full case reaching specified performance requirements.
    edited November -1
    AA2230...how close is AA2015?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    With AA2230 you get a little less fps. and a little higher pressure.
    They are very close according to the chart.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mmgunguy,

Sorry for the late reply to this, I wasn't paying attention to new posts on this.
    For my bolt gun it's all Winchester. For my AR it is all the stuff I can get cleaned and loaded. When working up an accuracy load I try to separate out LC...which I'm constantly running across at our range and picking up 50-100 pieces at a time. I load that and cycle the 1000 or so that I have already.