In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Berdan primed ammo

sirgknightsirgknight Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
I'm assuming that Berdan primed casings are not reloadable because the primer can't be punched out....is this correct? Is this the only reason they can't be reloaded? If so, then it seems that some genius could come up with a simple way to extract those primers so that the casings could be reprimed and reused.

Comments

• Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not that the primers can't be removed; they just aren't as easily removed as boxer-type primers. One way I have seen used was to fill the case with water, and tap a closely-fit punch inserted into the neck and hydraulically force the old primer out.

A major stumbling block is primer availability in this country. And Berdan primers come in very many different sizes. They were advertised for sale in old Stoeger catalogs for one, but I haven't seen such ads in a long time.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    RCBS also makes a decapping tool.

Again, while more difficult (requires an extra step) to reload than boxer primers, primer availability is the main thing.
  • Options
    sirgknightsirgknight Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I won't be reloading any of these casings. I'll stick with the boxer primed only. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I know someone that uses a berdan deprimer...after depriming my friend mills the primer pocket base flat and at the same time drills a hole so he can use boxer primers. Made a special fixture, works slick.
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    5mmguy
    what size hole is he drilling? I'm wondering about powder ignition in these using your friends technique. The case already has two small holes. Maybe same size as a small rifle flash hole?

Has your friend ever experienced higher pressures than normal when using the same load in a regular case vs a modified berdan case?

I'm asking because I've been pondering on the idea of experimenting with berdan cases.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up some 7.62 x 25 cases a while back that had berdan primers about the same size as boxer small pistol primers. At the bottom inside the case you have the two holes and a central dimple. I ran a drill (small) don't remember the size down into the case and drill all the way through the case, anvil, and primer. Pulled the primers using an easi-out and then drilled away the anvil. I have a couple reloads on these cases without trouble but I have not tried max loads. In 7.62 x 25 max. loads are up in the air anyway. What data would you use, not much out there.

Tim