In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6mm bullet for whitetail

huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
Just wondering if anyone has a favorite 6mm/.243 whitetail bullet for reloading? I am leaning towards the Sierra Pro-Hunter or GameKing.

Comments

• Options
    awindsawinds Member Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your twist will stabilize them, Barnes 95 gr XFB.
    One shot kills every time I've used them.
    Great accuracy, too.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Nosler Partitioned 100 Grain Hands down
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    A 100 grain Sierra Game King will kill any deer hit in the right spot, but so will a 22 long rifle.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    huntergarret,

This is a thread about the Sierra bullets:

http://forums.forthehunt.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=288368

The best answer is going to depend on which cartridge you intend to use and what twist rate you have in your rifle.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    A 100 grain Sierra Game King will kill any deer hit in the right spot, but so will a 22 long rifle.

Thanks for your help guys...I guess I'll load a few different ones and stick with the one that works best. Mrbruce...not so helpful.
  • Options
    MikeinMikein Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Huntergarret,

I've had very good luck with the Combined Technology (Nos/Winchester) 95 grain ballistic silver tip. I've reloaded with it for a Ruger M77, a Ruger #1 and a Savage M11, and it seemed to give me the best combination of accuracy and knockdown power.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mike...a friend of mine has me leaning towards them as well. I am shooting an older model 700. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    huntergarret - I use 100 grain Grand Slam bullets in my .243. They flat out kill deer. That being said, I have seen a ton of deer killed with good old Remington Core-Lock bullets (100 grain) in both factory and handloads.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Nosler 95 Gr BT's cannot be beat...
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've hunted deer with a 243 since 1979. i like nosler 95 BTs and 100 grain hornady SSTs.
    sierra 100 gameking was disappointing: core and jacket separated on angling shot thru the far lung, and buck went about 80 yards before going down. i did recover it.
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    6mm Remington Mod. 700 BDL?[8D] Probably a 1:9 twist.[:)]

I had one of these and it shot real well with IMR 4064 powder and 100 grain Hornady SPBT It also liked 100 gr. Remington PSP. The newer streamlined poly tipped fancy bullets are great but much more expensive. If you like to keep it simple and cheap, the Hornady soft pointed bullets are hard to beat for hunting as well as the Remington Core-Lock soft points. Try the good ole 80 gr. Power-Lock Hollow Point for varmints! Midway usually has the Remingtons at a really reasonable price.

I must admit that I killed a few Whitetails with the Nosler 100 gr. Partition bullet. I like the performance of the partition bullet.
    I've found two of them still inside the carcass, peeled back to the partition. Both deer were taken in a field over 200 yards.

I have never found much left of the Hornady 100 grainers. Usually juat a piece of jacket or bit of lead. Punch them through the lungs or heart and they go down in their tracks. [xx(]

When it comes to small calibers on deer I feel you want to keep in mind a bullet that does not blow up entering the skin of the animal. You want one that will penetrate and excite inside while passing through the vitals.

As a hunter we have a moral obligation to make as precise a kill shot as possible. Keep that in mind when selecting a caliber/bullet for harvesting any game animal.
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You state that you want a bullet for " reloading " so factory ammo aside , every bullet mentioned here would/will do the job [B)]
    I do have one suggestion though [:o)] IF Nosler makes their new
    Accubond bullet in 243 dia. , you may want to consider trying a few of them [8)] I have heard nothing but GOOD about them , and the price is not going to break anyone's bank compared to the other bullet Man. mentioned here in this thread [8)] I have shot a few of them in .277 dia and .308 dia and accuracy is right on par with anything out there JMHO

Jim the PA Hunter , welcome to the GB forum ,where in Pa. do you call home ? I also call Penn's woods my home [:)] about an hour north of Harrisburg .
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started loading for 243 many years ago with Sierra bullets and never had any problems.Then I used Nosler Partitions also a good bullet.I used Nosler Ballistics and they were very accurate but did not do a good job on deer.(Had to blood trail some and lost a few)Barnes X were good but I thought they were overpriced.Combined Technologies were OK but not wonderful.When the price through the roof on supplies I went back to using Sierra GameKings becase they had the best of both worlds (Accuaracy and whatever it takes to put and keep a deer on the ground if you do your part)for half the cost.As for the core and jacket seperating,that is not a bad thing as long as the bullet has penetrated the critter before it happens and Sierra bullets will seperate but my experience has been that it does it inside the animal.I have yet to have a Sierra come apart before it should.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again guys....Jim & .375...another PA boy here, born and raised.

Does anyone know if you are still able to get "samples" from anywhere? I remember years ago friends of mine loading half a dozen different rounds before buying in bulk? Does anyone do this anymore?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey PA guys.....[:o)] I'm in Somerset, PA (Flight 93, Nine 4 Nine coal miner rescue, seven springs ski resort).

375.... I get to Reading fairly often to see my Daughter and family.[^] 3 1/2 hour drive down the turnpike. Is there any big gun shops around there??

huntergarret....... I've seen shops and dealers at gun shows selling bullets 50 count in zip-lock-bags but they are usually bullets the dealer buys in bulk (Remington, Winchester, Hornady) soft point. I seem to remember Nosler having 'sample' packs. Hav'nt seen any for a while though. Where in PA are you? [?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim the PA Hunter
    Hey PA guys.....[:o)] I'm in Somerset, PA (Flight 93, Nine 4 Nine coal miner rescue, seven springs ski resort).

375.... I get to Reading fairly often to see my Daughter and family.[^] 3 1/2 hour drive down the turnpike. Is there any big gun shops around there??

huntergarret....... I've seen shops and dealers at gun shows selling bullets 50 count in zip-lock-bags but they are usually bullets the dealer buys in bulk (Remington, Winchester, Hornady) soft point. I seem to remember Nosler having 'sample' packs. Hav'nt seen any for a while though. Where in PA are you? [?]

Jim,

I'm just south east of Erie on the NY line. I grew up just south west of Washington, PA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i lived in Guys Mills, 35 miles south or erie, from 1978-1983. loved it, learned to deer hunt there, starting with my 243. i hear the deer hunting is not so great nowadays, too many doe killed in recent years. how is it for you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by laogai
    i lived in Guys Mills, 35 miles south or erie, from 1978-1983. loved it, learned to deer hunt there, starting with my 243. i hear the deer hunting is not so great nowadays, too many doe killed in recent years. how is it for you?

Not the same to say the least. I'm in Corry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nice town, corry. hope the hunting improves. i hear grouse are way down too. i'm lucky enough to live in kansas, and hunt here and nebraska. big whitetails, not crowded with hunters
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have very good results with the Speer 100 grain Grand Slam. It gives good penetration with excellent expansion. I haven't used Nosler Partitions but expect them to work,too. I saw a test of .243 bullets a while back and the common fault was lack of penetration or fragmenting. Yes, the quick expansion is a quick killer on ribcage shots but a failure on quartering shots.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My best bullet in my whole line up is the Nosler 95 gr moly coated ballistic tip. Very accurate and has good weight retention i try to load them 2 grains under what they call "HOT". reason being i seen too many guys @ the gun range with hot loads and not get the bolt open. I dont like that idea when i an out in the middle of no-where and i might need a second shot. Happy hunting.
  • Options
    johnnybar1johnnybar1 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Partitions and Ballistic Tips have never failed me from 35 yds to 280 yds on deer & antelope. Ballistic Tips from my Ruger77V are incredibly accurate to 400yds. Make sure you use the heavier weights in 243 dia, as the lighter ones are intended for varmits and have very thin jackets with soft cores for blowup on impact which you don't want on deer.