In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Mil-Spec" over used & misunderstood

MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
Mil-Spec ammo, surplus! Very often the reason it is surplus is it no longer meets the standard, or the standard-based on real testing-has determined that it is about to come out of spec. Kind of like-sell by date. Mil-Spec weapons, AR-15s for example, semi-autos, different trigger group, selector/safety/bolt carrier etc is ofter called Mil-Spec, this only cheapens the Mil-Spec/Mil-Standard, and demonstrates the lack of the speakers understanding. Recently, large amounts of "Mil-Spec" 5.56 ammo came on the market (new production)-reason: it did not meet the spec! This sub-par ammo is often used by "home testers" as the standard they test against, the value of these tests become questionable at best. This is just one example,however; the list would be almost endless if every example were given that is known to the members of board. Be weary of the sellers of Mil-Spec anything if you don't know, or can not get a copy of the Spec! Run from the gun seller that claims his AR is Mil-Spec, he either does not know what he is talking about, or is just flat out less than honest. Of course I am not talking about for example a 98 Mauser, or the like that may very well be the full Nazi Mil-Spec, or an '03Springfield etc. Sure there are plenty of Mil-Spec items available, but not as many as are sold as such. Anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    HEAR HEAR I agree 100% if you ask most people what MIL SPEC "is" you will get a Blank Stare .IMHO a catch phrase that is sort of like "NEW AND IMPROVED"
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the both of you. I can't believe some of the prices people pay Lake City 5.56/7.62. The only reason it is on the market is because it didn't meet the military standards. You have to be an idiot to think that it is "surplus" ammo at a time like this when they can't keep up with demand. I'm not saying it's crap ammo, but it's not mil-spec like it is often advertized, and priced, as being.