In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many firings are safe for .308 brass?

popgunpopgun Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
I think this subject was mentioned before (in general) - but I can't find it now.

I have a friend who loads .357, 9mm and .308 - and he says that he throws away his brass once it has been fired 10 times - regardless of its condition or how it looks.

He once had a round explode in a rifle chamber (a not previously fired factory load) - and though (luckily) he wasn't hurt, he now is very cautious.

So I was wondering: is he being safe and prudent, or is he just throwing away a lot of money on brass that can be safely fired several more times?

Will appreciate your comments, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    It depends... a tight chamber and neck sizing only, 50 times. a loose chamber and f.l. resizing, 10 would be about right
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it depends on how you size it, and how generous the chamber is. You can keep an eye out for case-head seperations or loose primer pockets. In a factory chamber,..10x might not be a bad idea. FL sizing wears out a case quickly,..neck sizing will makeit last quite a while.

that factroy round blowing up would have been sent back to the factory by me,..and quite possibly accompanied by a letter from a lawyer.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I examine each case. If it shows signs of head seperation, loose primer pockets, or any cracks, out it goes. Otherwise I have no rule. I have some 30-06 brass shot with light loads and cast bullets, neck sized only, now past its 100th reload.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot light loads and have never worn out 308 brass.

I have loaded some 100 times or more.

If the neck is not split and the primer seals well keep using it until one of those two happens.

IMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The question can not be answered as posed. With out knowing if the weapon firing the round is a bolt action or a gas gun, is the round being fired in the same chamber, how hot are the loads etc. 10 times from a gas gun M1A for example, would be toooooo many, if the round ran the weapon. If firing a less than max load, or other practise that would otherwise exceed pressure, from a bolt gun 10 times is throwing away money. Let us not forget the quality of the chamber, and the quality of the press and dies used in loading. P.O. Ackley did this experiment with 30-06,loaded hot (above factory velocity) and continued loading same piece, fl sizing each time, and was able to get around 50 load per cart, he used 4 pieces, 2win and 2rem they all loaded about the same--around 50times of very hot loading.
    Remember this test was done from a bolt gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you, everyone, for the good info!

Joe,

It's a practically new (about 300 rounds shot so far) 700 VLS.

I do plan to neck size my brass, so it sounds like I can expect at least 50 shots out of each case - though I will, of course, examine every case before every loading.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    JUST A SUGGESTION... LEE COLLET NECK SIZER
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have worn out a Lee collet, no complaints but prefer the reading neck sizer. (aluminum does not hold up as well over the long hard road)
    As to seating I have used many but the Reading and Forster competition dies are great.
    I had both and sold the Reading.
    Not because it was any less it was not.
    But, being equal I got about $20.00 more for the Reading than I could the Forster Bonanza.
    So, for less that is the best seater buy, IMO as the Forster is cheaper new.

For sizing once fired acquired brass I suggest the RCBS Small base sizer die. You see a full length sizer actually does not size full length but the small base sizer does and that may make a big difference if that brass had been fired in a loose chamber or higher pressure load.

Point is, how much will you be shooting and loading??? If a bunch, go with the higher quality dies.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Mike,

I have just received the Lee deluxe .308 die set - with both neck sizer die and full sizer die (along with bullet seat die.)

Wulf,

I won't be shooting 1,000 a month or anything like that (I don't think.) Maybe a few hundred - so I hope the Lee's will do well for awhile; but I will certainly write down your sugestions for later consideration. Thanks!

One thing I don't like about the Lee dies are the locking rings, and I was wondering if someone can recommend a good model that will fit Lee dies on a Lee 4-hole classic press?

Forster were highly rated (at Midway,) but one guy in the reviews said there wasn't room to fit them on a Lee clasic 4-hole (they're too big, I guess.)

So are there other good rings that would fit my press?

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Like I said, I used the crap out of the Lee collet before the aluminum threads gave out so I am sure you will be fine.
    The Lee rings will hold fine but the problem is getting them to that right point as unloosening them and trying to reset them is vague with those rings. I never know for sure if I turned them enough or too much.
    That is more for the sizer as the seater can be close and finely adjusted from the top nob or adjusting screw.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck