In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bench rest primer ?

reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
I'm going to be reloading some 500S&W for my revolver. QUESTION: What if any, is the difference between, Standard Large Rifle primers VS. Bench Rest Large Rifle primers. I only reload for handguns and the 500S&W brass I have calls for a Large Rifle primer. I thought I bought the standard primers but when I got home I noticed that the box was labeled Bench Rest. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    reloader44mag,

There is no power difference between the two types of primers. Benchrest primers are manufactured and tested to have less variation from primer to primer. In essence they are more consistent.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the info. I googled "bench rest primer" and what you stated above is the same as many others. Thanks again. Didn't know if the bench rest primer was "hotter".
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Magnum primers are the "hotter" type.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality control is tighter for what is actually the same primers. I have tried in a a practical manner to test and see if I could see any difference but could not and no longer spend the extra money for "match" primers, Federals' version of BR.

I have also not seen any difference to Nosler first and seconds for bullets but maybe my standards are not up to better shooters or perhaps if you think they are better they become better.

Magnum are usually hotter but some, like Wolf's new mag for small rifle is actually the same solution but with the thicker cup to reduce slam fires in AR-15 types.
    The CCI #34 military LR are certainly hotter and save powder in my 308s.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. Just loaded up 20 rounds. I'll let ya know the results when I fire them. reloader44mag.