In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

trimming 45 acp cases

dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
First off I'm new to reloading and I was told that because 45 acp is such a low preasure round that they dont "stretch" enough to worry about trimming them. Is this true and if so would you have to trim them the second time you reload them?

dgac

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll lose your 45ACP brass in the weeds before you'll need to trim it.

Save the trimming for your bottle neck rifle brass.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have loaded some WCC MATCH brass over 30 times 45acp does NOT grow in fact it gets shorter. . THIS is why you want to get a taper crimp die for 45ACP and this way you get a crimp with out the chance of trouble like in a roll die. Crimp .001 -.002 smaller then case 1/4 -3/8 inch down from case mouth This will give good bullet pull and smooth the sharp mouth at the case bullet joint.. feel free to send me a email via my profile if you have questions . Karl AKA Perry Shooter
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've never had to trim any 45acp. brass. I've seen it split before anything else.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Agreed with everyone else. You will never need to trim 45 ACP.
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info....thats good because I primed 1000 45 cases already.

dgac
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on Perryshooter when I was new to reloading the 45acp after 30+ years of reloading, I made the mistake of trimming new brass after resizing it. I trimmed it to minimum length and after firing it and resizing it, I found it had gotten shorter. Karl set me straight at the time and I now agree that you will lose it long before you need to trim it.