In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 CREEDMOOR

CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
Thinking about getting a longer range target gun for shooting rocks and such, no competition. Looking at a 6.5 creedmoor in a Ruger M77 with a 28" barrel just because I am not serious enough to want to spend $2K on a fun time target gun. Thoughts on the gun or caliber? Thanks and happy new year!

Todd

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thinking about buying one to play around with. Any one have one? If so what gun is it in and how does it shoot?

Todd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok. Been trying to get the correct skinny on this cartridge. Even though Hornady says this is a "from the the bottom up newly designed round", it sure looks like a 6XC (which is a 250 savage with a modified Ackley taper, shortened to 1.90 over all case length, with a pushed back 30 degree shoulder) necked up to 6.5. I dont have any dimensional specs on the 6.5 to make caliper comparisons. Any ideas??

Vic
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CryptoChief,

This an apt description of the goal set by Hornady from Zak Smith:

"The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed for the express purpose to provide a cartridge with the accuracy and ballistics to be competitive at the top level of High-Power Long-Range competition using factory ammunition, while also being easy on the novice reloader."

The bold is mine but I think it makes the point that is most important to Hornady, getting shooters to use factory ammunition. The factories make more money from selling ammunition than they make from selling individual components. The second part of this is that it provides an opportunity for beginning shooters to buy a rifle, scope and accurate factory ammunition and go compete, obviously with practice of course. But it's a direct line to accuracy and competition without investing in a few hundred dollars of reloading equipment and the learning curve required to become an accomplished reloader. It's a very European concept...

It is smaller than a .260 Remington but larger than the 6.5 x 47 Lapua. 1.920" case length, a 30? shoulder and minimal body taper. Case capacity is right around 53.0 grains of H20, according to Hornady. The case utilizes large rifle primers and the large flash hole as opposed to the Lapua.

65creedmoordrawingae1.jpg

With all the descriptions from multiple sources, this cartridge is basically the same as or similar to quite a number of cartridges dating back several decades. Close comparison puts it directly between the .260 Rem. and the 6.5 x 47 Lapua.

While a large number of folks like to state that we have enough cartridges, I see cartridges like this as being the ongoing refinement and our progress through the development of powders, bullets, cases and efficiency. The trend towards the slightly shorter cases simply allows us to seat the bullet out a little from the case. The gain in case capacity is offset by the slightly shorter case but the physics of the burn is a little better. We went through this with the RSAUM and the WSM cases. They become equivalent when the bullets are seated to magazine length.

The mildness of these smaller cartridges has a good application for those of us who choose to shoot from the prone position. As to the design being from the ground (bottom) up, me thinks that is a little bit of advertising verbiage rather than the absolute truth. Hornady may have made some changes in the web thickness, case wall taper and a few other immaterial dimensions but when it comes right down to it, I'd call it a slightly improved 6.5 x 250 Savage.

This a good article by Zak Smith on the comparison between the .260 Rem./6.5 x 47 Lapua/6.5 Creedmoor:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

Thanks for the reply. Clarifies a few things. Not that I'm in the market for the thing. Just piqued my curiosity.
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

Thanks for the article link. It was a great read. I think that my next Encore barrel may be a 6.5 Creedmoor.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CryptoChief,

I just plain don't have enough time to get everything done that I want to accomplish. Having to work all time really curtails the time I want to spend satisfying my curiosities. Oh well! It's a nice little cartridge to play with.

Best.

HandgunHTR52,

Zak writes pretty good and he's easy to understand. The articles that compare cartridges are getting to be more important these days in order to see where the similarities and differences are with all these cartridges. Without accurate comparisons, we just flail around because most of us can't afford to build all the rifles and take the time to test the cartridges.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

It indeed was a good article. I have to agree that I wouldn't switch out my 260 barrel for the Creedmoor on a whim. Although my 260 is a hunting rifle and not for match shooting, I see the advantage of keeping it as is because economically speaking and performance wise on game, it's a real peach. Thanks again for your reply.

Vic