In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.300 W/M vs .300 RUM

navymmnavymm Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
Long time .300 Win Mag shooter, gonna build up a benchrest, long range competition rifle. How's the .300 Rem. Ultra Mag for down-range performance. I already have a .50 for 1000 yd competiton, want something a little smaller/lighter/different. Any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The WM is to the 30-06, as the RUM is to the Win Mag.
  • Options
    navymmnavymm Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistically speaking, I can agree to that. And I shouldn't admit this for fear of serious recriminations, but I've never cared for the -06. Wouldn't own a 30-06 if it was given to me. :)
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 06 is a kinda boring cartridge, not the best at anything but more than capable of anything.[:D]
    The only reason I moved up (from the 30-06 to the 300 Tomahawk/300 Rum Improved) is that I just didn't trust it for deer past 440yd (inside of that I have no qualms with it) [8D]
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing to think about: optimum 30 cal velocities run between 2950 and 3100 fps for the best harmonics and accuracy. With the ultra mag and the heavier bullets you should be ok. Go lighter than 190 and trying to push past the 3100 mark and you might not be able to dial in on the harmonics as well, if ever. I would imagine you would be shooting 190 or heavier, probably even as high as 240. But don't get caught up in the ultra high velocity craze. For some calibers it works fine but for the 30 cal, the above velocity range is the optimum place to start.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Did you check out the .338 RUM....awesome long range caliber.
  • Options
    mudd_boggermudd_bogger Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    have you given any thought to the 30-378 weatherby i have had good luck with it doin the 1000yd bench rest with 220 grain match kings.
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300 RUM
    30-378 Weatherby

338 RUM
    338 Lapua

All very capable and Equally impressive.

Just don't forget 1000yd match winners are still shooting 300 Win Mag.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    For something different, skip the 30 cals. The 30's feature expensive brass and expensive bullets (so do the 338's).

Considered a 6.5x06 AI or a 6.5x55 AI???

At least use 140/142 bullets and try to find some 155/160 grain bullets. If you can find the heavier bullets, your BC and knockdown power will rival the 30 cals and top more than half of the field.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    navymm,

I have come to new appreciations of magnums as of late. But even still the '06 is a very hard to beat standard. With modern high BC bullets the '06 will hold it's own in just about any .30 cal competition. It holds more powder and can push much heavier bullets to competitive velocities that the .308 won't. Bullet efficiency is the key. Not so much magnum velocities. Not to mention the '06 will do well in competitions without knocking you back into Sunday. At least that mostly holds true for rifles without muzzle brakes. Magnums have a tendency to make even the best shooters not want to shoot them. One wrong hold and the shooter second guesses for a while if his hold is going to allow recoil to ruin his day...or at least the next few minutes that a good hold will make a difference.

Personally I would look at finding the most efficient bullets instead of just a bigger cartridge.

As to the WSM, I think you would be hard pressed to find many more accurate cartridges right out of the shoot. With a little less powder than the .300 WM it works well with 190-200 gr. bullets. The reduced powder load helps extend the short barrel life that so many magnums are guilty of burning through when used in competition.