In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 Mag. reload

barnjoerbarnjoer Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
I have just moved & can't find any paper's or reloading book. I am useing Hornady 240 JHP & Unique powder. If I remember right, my load was-- 11.2 grains. Called A friend to see what his book showed & told him what I thought my load was. He said different maunels will be different on what the max load is. Why is that?? Same bullets & powder?? Can someone with A Hornady Manuel scan the page on 44 & email it to me?/ big thanks for any help -- john

( by the way it is coming out of A 7 1/2" Redhawk)

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Lyman manual reads, Speer 240gr. HP.....starting 10.8gr,... MAX 12.0gr for Unique, OAL 1.610, tested in 4" barrel. I know its a different bullet, but start low and work up. When I use Unique with a Nosler 240gr HP, I have found that 11.5gr Unique gives me best results. These are fired out of a Dan Wesson 8" and Taurus Raging Bull 8". I'd scan but don't know how. reloader44mag. THESE ARE 44MAG LOADS.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He said different maunels will be different on what the max load is. Why is that?? Same bullets & powder??

The quick and easy answer is that bullet and powder are just 2 of many factors that affect velocity and pressure.
    Some manuals will list a specific firearm that loads were developed in, others use pressure barrels. Length of barrel, tightness of chamber, bore dimensions, primer used, powder lot, temperature, etc, all impact outcome. You get the picture. Like the man said, start low and proceed with caution.