In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Brass question

peppersacpeppersac Member Posts: 90 ✭✭
On some of my 300 weatherby mag brass I have small flat spots on the case. Can I still reload these. They have only been shot once.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i am going to buy more brass for reloading 7mm08 but it is more expensive and harder to find than .308 brass, is there any negative effects to just buying 308 brass and resizing it to 7mm08??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of buying some 9mm Sellier & Bellot Range Safe 124gr. FMJ Ammo. It says the cases are copper washed steel case. Can these be reloaded?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am just about to get into reloading (my press is on backorder), and I have a lot of 9mm & .40 brass polished and ready for depriming. I have mostly Winchester with some Remington, Magtech, and a couple of others. I have separated everything according to the headstamp, but I was wondering if it really makes any difference what brass you use as long as the powder, primer, and bullet all agree with the recipe you choose.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    discoloration? dents? what? Inside? outside? neck? shoulder? body? head?

All these questions aside, my gut reaction is, yes, you can probably still fire it; but without knowing what caused it or what they look like I won't say for sure. Could be as simple as tarnish, could be a chamber burr, dirt in chamber, gritty low powered load and powder residue, etc. etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The flat spots are on the body of the case (the widest part of the case). They got there when I was sizeing them. Did I use too much lube?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by peppersac
    The flat spots are on the body of the case (the widest part of the case). They got there when I was sizeing them. Did I use too much lube?

Lube dents normaly show up on the shoulders, but it's certainly possible to get them on the side of the case also.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If that's all it is, yes, you can shoot them again. The little dent will blow out, no problem. Next time use less lube and see what you get; you might also clean your sizing die thoroughly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What if the angled part on the neck is dented. is that safe to reload? Sorry for the rookie questions, but I am a rookie.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    perfectly safe to shoot. The dents will be ironed out well before the chamber pressure of a wthby (60,000PSI +/-) and will come out looking perfect. Clean your dies inside with break cleaner, then use only enough lube to get the case in/out easily.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for all of the help!!
  • Options
    Jim the PA HunterJim the PA Hunter Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,
    It would be interesting to find out if while cleaning your sizing die you dislodge a foreign object that might have inadvertently been caught in the sizer die from a dirty case. [?][:)]