In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading .338 Win Mag

huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
Never loaded any...my father just gave me all of his brass from I'd say 10 years. He asked me load him up some 185 grain. After looking I only saw a seirra bullet that would work. Is this to light? I already have 50 combined Technologies in 200 grain that I am going to let him try. He uses this in Northern Canada for whitetail....yeah, I know.

Anything else I should be aware of first time reloading .338 Mag?

Sal

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had awesome results witht he 225 grain Hornaday bullet, it killed a lot of moose and caribou in Alaska. I would ask him about the use of such a light bullet in a .338 he may have his reasons; but without shooting the rifle with the reloads getting good accuracy could pose a problem for him. Make sure you F/L size the brass since you don't know where it came from. My limited records for lighter bullets show that RE-19 and IMR4831 were good shooters. The best results came from 250SMK's and 75 grains of IMR7828. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 185 grain will realize some awesome velocities. I think you can still find Barnes in a 185. I would prefer a 200 grain or larger in the 338.

I used 73 grains of Norma 204 with a 200 grain Barnes and also 71 grains of Norma 204 with a 225 grain Barnes. Worked well on whitetails. Full body penetration. I shot 15 deer with these two loads.
  • Options
    huntergarrethuntergarret Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys...

Sal
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    mine likes the 200 gn. nosler b.t., 3 elk in 3 shots + several deer.
  • Options
    bugmantraapbugmantraap Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 71grs of IMR 4350 and a 225gr Nosler Partition bullet for inch groups out of my Browning Stainless Stalker. Many find that the lighter bullet in the 338 have accuracy problems. My advise would be to go to the 200-225 grs.What you get in speed with the lighter bullet is lost with the loss of sectional density.All that said, he is hunting whitetails not grizzleys and any bullet at a reasonable speed and in the right place will do the job. trapper