In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

223 wssm -re barreling

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I have posted and read many posts on trouble with groups in a 223 wssm in a browning a-bolt. The caliber seems to give most of us difficulties when loading( see wssm zone posts-hundreds). I tried several powders, seating depths, and from 40 gr through 69gr heads ( even giving the rifle to a friend to try as well). The groups I was getting was 2-3" at 100 yards. Well I bought a new barrel in a 25 wssm (from a Winchester coyote) and had it re threaded to fit. After 70 shots with the new barrel the new gun/caliber is grouping (yesterday's range session) .51, .55, and .57 inch!

It is may opinion that the 223 wssm is too fast (4,100 fps) and giving excessive amounts of heat and distorting the barrels making it so unpredictable. Or.........it could be revenge from the democrats on our gun rights, just to drive us nuts!

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    weren't those browing tubes chrome lined???
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Mine shoots 3/4 inch with 60 grain VMAX.

Plenty good enough for me...and that is full power loads.
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 243 wssm win mod 70 super shadow shoots 1/2 groups all day as long as I keep the bbl cool. wssm zone forums have a lot of good info, and the guys really know there stuff for these short fat fast little rounds.
  • fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check gunbroker.com for a browning. it sounds like most of the problems have been coming from the winchester wssm rifles.

i have a 243wssm browning varmint, and love it! it can hold moa or better all day, every so often i'll do my part and get a .5" group. the rifle is far more accurate than i am.

• joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes Justc it is or was chrome lined. The first ones made were not and they realized that the barrels would not hold up. As Far as groups , any gun maker will make guns that can shoot, the problem stems from the HUNDREDS of shooters all having the same issue. And yes most of the problems I have read is the winchesters but brownings are not without fail either. Just on this site I have discussed wssm problems with many that have posted similar problems. The 243 wssm I think slows down just enough, as most of what I have read is common with the 223 wssm. Also stated in the post was a browning action with winchester barrel shooting 1/2 inch groups no custom stuff.

Maybe now I have time to tackle a new project wildcat- how about 45-70 necked down to .17cal? Any ideas on names?
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chrome lining can not be perfect with regards to bore dia. There will be higher and lower spots,..so it will mimmick a poor barrel. Full auto guns need chrome lining....not bolt rifles.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heads? Speaks volums!