In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Why was my powder Greenish?

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went to the range today and was shooting some 8mm mauser reloads. Factory new brass, CCI primer, IMR 4064. The rounds were loaded about 2 1/2 months ago-when it was too cold for me to go play. On my second to last round I pulled the trigger, didn't feel anything, opened the bolt and the bullet was in the barrel(that sucked b/c I didn't have a rod to remomve it and I had a few factory rounds I wanted to shoot so I could get the brass) and small clumps of powder were at the case mouth. I dumped the powder out and there were several small clumps and that powder had a slight green color and the rest looked fine and didn't stick together. I pulled the one round from the same lot and the powder was fine. So what caused my powder to turn green and not go bang? I bought the powder in December and it still looks like it did when I opened it.

On the plus side my garand didn't let me down! I also picked up 4-5 pounds of brass. Nothing I could load myself but I figure I'll sell it on GB when I have enough of one caliber. I picked up ~50 WCC 5.56. Sorry, no giveaway [:p]. I'll save that, add to it, and then sell it on GB so I can buy gas to get to the range. I also found a like new silicon gun cloth, 2 rounds of factory Prvi 308 FMJ and 1 round of Federal HE (high energy?) 308 soft point and a pair of saftey glasses.

Comments

• jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    2 thoughts-

Most likely scenario, some moisture in the case. Either from undried case lube contamination (happened to me more than once in the early days) or water entry somehow.

Could also be the primer was a dud but that wouldn't explain the green clumps.
  • Dumpster BabyDumpster Baby Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a squib in a .357 reload once because I didn't heed the book's warning to use a magnum primer with that particular powder. The unburned powder that was all over everything ranged from brown to green to black. Partially burned powder doesn't look like it did when it went into the case.
  • flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It could be moisture, but I don't know where it could have come from. They dried for several days after I wiped my lee case lube off with a damp cloth. I wipped off the lee lube from inside the case, even though it says you don't have to as it won't contaminate the powder. I reload in the basement, climate controlled like the rest of the house. Perhaps the primer had just enough power to lodge the bullet in the barrel, but not hot enough to light the powder. Afterall, Dumpster Baby had quite the range of colors. I still had fun and didn't get hurt-that's what really counts!
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Could be then; partially burnt powder I mean, with a weak primer.
    edited November -1
    One more thought, perhaps the clumps originated by the flash hole and the primer "melted" a few grains together to form them. The clumps didn't break apart very easily.
  • Kari PragerKari Prager Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear Flyingtorpedo,
    I had this problem repeatedly with CCI benchrest primers, in 4 different Swiss rifles, a
    Mannlicher, some Enfields and a Savage 22 hornet. (I even took a few of the bolts apart to check for grease or crud on the firing pins or weak springs!) I don't think it was my case preparation, I use Hornady spray lube very sparingly and let it dry thoroughly, or else a tiny bit of Imperial lube, I don;t use very much of either, and am pretty careful to wipe out the case mouths if I use the lube, and generally neck-size only. This never happened with my Winchester or Federal primers, and didn't happen with my CCI pistol primers in my .22 Hornet with exactly the same case preparation. So I am very gunshy about CCI benchrest primers, although others have had no such problems with them. Just my anecdotal two cents for this thread.
    scrmblerKari
    edited November -1
    I was just using standard CCI large rifle primers. Hopefully it isn't a bad lot because I still have about 950 of them left.[;)]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like contaminated powder. I have had that happen and I use fed gold medal match primers,..which I know will light up anything.

Most likely lube/oil in the case or water.

I rinse my cases in BOILING water after any lube is applied to anything but the EXTERIOR of the case. That melts all lube away and they are then placed on a cookie sheet and dried in the oven at 180* with the door slightly cocked open to allow moisture out faster.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The off color and clumping would indicate some sort of contamination. Did you check the flash holes before seating primers?
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Usually green color is an indicator of oxidization in the presence of moisture.

If you have ever seen a battery under water the green is the first color you'll see before the steel can starts to rust.

So likely there was some ammount of moisture/oil that stopped the primer from working properly.

I keep my primers in moisture bags with silica packs and inside and ammo can. Some I've had since 1976 and I still us them without a single failure.

Also try not to handle them with your fingers. Body oils are very corrosive and dirty.

Good luck and keep them Mausers FED!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DENWA

Good luck and keep them Mausers FED!

I've put another 35 rounds through it since then. Only 1 problem-I'm not used to shooting high powered bolt action and my shoulder hurts like hell. The rifle is fairly light because it's been sporterized (not by me) but thankfully who ever had it done 35+ years ago didn't drill and tap it for a scope. I'm either going to have to get a limbsaver recoil pad or have a shoulder that hurts all summer. [;)] It's more fun shooting it with my own loads than it is with factory ammo.
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/quote]
    Only 1 problem-I'm not used to shooting high powered bolt action and my shoulder hurts like hell.
    [/quote]

Ditto. My 8mm kills my shoulder. Get a recoil pad. A good one is < $40 and makes a world of difference.

Don't be brave, or you will start to flinch like I have.