In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

brass dipping- cleaning

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
does anyone have a method to clean brass by dipping into a solvent instead of tumbling simliar to the commercial dips which are avail.
thanks, aka dirty brass Joe!

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1 cup white vinager and 4 cups of hot tap water.
    Soak the brass for 5 minutes, stiring once or twice.
    Dig out the brass, and rinse in hot tap water.
    spread out in a warm airy place to dry (tarp on blacktop driveway works well).

While your rinsing batch #1, you can start soaking batch #2 in the same solution you just removed the first batch from.

The only downside is that your hands will smell like salid dressing.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you tailgunner! riddle solved- now how do you get the damn rubex cube solved?
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IOSSO CASE CLEANER comes in one gallon jug can be used over and over great stuff IOSSO PRODUCTS Elk Grove IL 847-437-8400
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use IOSSO as well,..for a quick cleaning. It doesn't shine them up much, but does eat off carbon quickly.
  • Options
    dw2002dw2002 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a solution of vinegar, a small amount of liquid laundry detergent, and salt. Cleans even the dirtiest of range pickups. Don't leave them in there for more than 3-5 minutes though..it may discolor the brass a bit where the salt makes contact with the bottom of the case. I usually agitate them around a few times during soaking to keep that from happening. Rinse with warm water, hand tumble inside a towel and let dry. It turns the tarnished areas red and are usually removed with some tumbling. Badly stained (near black) cases may still need some rubbing with some 000 steel wool after soaking to shine them up. If you really want to get wet with it, you can also painstakingly use cotton swabs (q-tips) and clean the insides of the cases as well when they are still wet. That makes the inside clean as well, but it may lead to sore fingers.
    I've been using this method for years with excellent results.