In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another bullet seating question

jokenjoken Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
I'm loading some 338 Win Mag trial loads. On my Mod 70 super-grade, it appears that seating depth is indeed limited by magazine length. I am able to increase OA length minimally without the bullet touching the lands and still get it in the mag well. I accidently bought an old Sako Model 72 that has never been fired the other day and the same load will not chamber in it. I will be able to seat the bullets for this rifle as suggested and described in the Nosler manual. Would it be reasonable to assume that the Sako would be more accurate than the Model 70 or am I making too much out of this. I realize that there are other factors to consider. Thanks, Ken

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think you may be surprised on groups that you might get with short OAL . I have seen some rifles that LIKE short OAL rounds.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Every gun has a different personality, try several variations in seating depths to find the best length for each of your guns.
  • konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3 examples.

My FN Mauser chambered in 300 Win Mag has a jump of over .200 and absolutely loves it. 1/4 MOA @100

My Howa 1500 chambered in a 204 Ruger. Jumps .110 It will shoot a .177 inch group. @100

My Ruger M77 MK2 chambered in a 25-06 AI will not shoot worth a darn. If seated farther than .015 form riffling.

So its different with every rifle as perry and Mk said. You just have to try what you got. Spend some time at the bench and Bags. Just go shoot the damn thing and find out. Good Luck
  • MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is trim lgth of case? what projectile? OAL for that particual projectile case combo may well be limited by magazine length in you mod 70, if you would like to jam seat, or seat .001 off lands try other projectiles.
  • MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I'm developing a load, I typically get the powder charge up to near, but not maximum, then load several variations of seating depth, at .010 increments. Start at .010 less than maximum COL, assuming it will fit through the magazine, and make sure the longest load does not contact the lands. If you use a chronograph, you will find that the best seating depth will give you both increased accuracy and more consistent velocity. Once, when seeking to replace a 150 round-nose bullet with a 150 spitzer (both Hornady), I found that the spitzer required .040 greater distance from the lands to shoot well, measured by a Sinclair comparator. I suspect that the spitzer would have shot well with the same ogive-to-land 'jump', but the pointier bullet made the cartridge too long to fit through the magazine.