In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun shell reloading

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Can a 12 ga shell be reloaded which is not brass. I have some whichester shells that are not brass but some other type of metal.
Please help the less furtunate, me!

Comments

• Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, Ive not reloaded shotgun shells in 25 yrs. However my 12 yr old and I want to start reloading again.

My question pertains to what type of reloader to buy. We want to reload .410 and 12 ga shells.

Ive been looking at Mec jrs.

Question is: What is the best economical loader out there? Do I have to buy 2 loaders or can I buy a conversion kit and use one loader?

We shoot alot of skeet here on our property, no competitive shooting, just good times and fun.

Steer me in the right direction guys, all input is appreciated. Billy
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The short answer is yes but it will not not be worth the effort. Most metal case shotgun shells use different primers and larger wads and wear out very fast. Go buy some once fired AA's from the trap range at around six cents each they use standard wads and primers. You can load them many times before they fail.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    The short answer is yes but it will not not be worth the effort. Most metal case shotgun shells use different primers and larger wads and wear out very fast. Go buy some once fired AA's from the trap range at around six cents each they use standard wads and primers. You can load them many times before they fail.

I agree with most of the above

although a 209 primer is a 209 primer, I have used them all and the days of saying a European primers is a different size are long gone as they all work the same in my exsperince.

I believe that any winchester wad will work as a winchester hull is still a winchester hull, if you can find a wad that came from one of the factory shells and take it to the store. look at the winchester wads and compare them if it looks the same as say a win AA 12 wad then chances are it is.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    On the chance that you are referring to the base only.

Yes a steel base can be reloaded like brass, you will find it a little harder to resize and you need to assure you store in a dry area. Winchester made many with steel base and currently Federal "top guns" are not brass base.

Hope that helps.