In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hand load for Remington VTR 223 ?

drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
Hello:
Any suggestions for a powder and bullet for a Remington VTR in 223. I like to shoot a 55 grain Sierra Boattail in the ballistic tip (Blitzkrieg???) bullet. Has any body had any luck building a round for this particular rifle and calibre?
Thanks
Andrew

Comments

• Options
    bugmantraapbugmantraap Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 27grs of Varget with a 55gr sierra hpbt for 1/4 inch groups at 100 yds. win brass, Fed primers. Not much room in case but Hodgdon says it is a safe load and I see no pressure signs.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The Nosler reloading book shows 25 grs of Varget as max and Hornady shows 26.4 grs as max. I sure would work up slowly and would be inclined to stop short of 27 grains.
  • Options
    bugmantraapbugmantraap Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunguy, Read the container Varget comes in. The RECOMMENDED load for the 223 is 27.5 grs. As I have stated in other post, Nosler and Sierra are very conservative with there loads due to the liability factor. I have a 223 mini mauser by interarms and my buddy has a remington we both shoot the same load with no problems. If hodgdons puts it on the label of the powder you can bet it is a safe load.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    My .223 AI loves Ramshot TAC, Rem 71/2primers and 55gr Blitzkings, you might wanna give it a try?
  • Options
    drewtodrewto Member Posts: 153 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello:
    I ended up using 26 grains of Varget in a Winchester case. Right now the rifle is shooting touching groups at 100. I think Hodgdon needs to rethink their max load as 27.5 grains (listed on can) spilled out of the case. I don't see how you could get that load in a 223 case ? My groups came together at 26 and spread at 26.5 so I'm there with the VTR. Thanks guys.