In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

28GA STS Hull Problems???

redwoodredwood Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
Hello - I have a MEC 9000 & have been relaoding 28ga for @ 7 years. I usually load Win AA (old style) or Rem STS hulls. I shot a box of new Rem STS loads last week (I bought a few boxes to replace some old hulls). When I went to load them last night I had @ 1/2 dozen hulls that would not allow the primer to seat at the full depth. After that I gave up & loaded some of my old hulls - no problems this time. It's almost as if the primer pocket is undersized. Has anyone else experienced this???

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, I have heard that is a problem now? why I don't know
    Me thinks they are trying to make it so you have to buy factory ammo
    but that is just me forgetting to put on my tinfoil hat this morning[;)]

What primers are you using?

I have had problems with the 12ga STS not taking both Winchester and Nobel Sport 209's more so with the Nobel sports than winchester.

they used to make a #56?? primer, that was bigger than a 209 but I don't know if they ever made one that was smaller.

It could be that Remington is using European components now, the euro primers are said to be "smaller"

although I have not experienced that, others swear by it.
  • Options
    redwoodredwood Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using Win 209, have been for @ 4 years... I have @ 10K left...
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw some of the responses on shotgun world,

It could be plastic I guess, but I have a hard time believing that it was present at the time the shell was loaded If it was how did they get the primer in the hole the first time?

the 12ga hulls that have given my problem didn't have any plastic in the way. as I said they act as if the primers were crimped in, I didn't notice them being any harder to remove but they sure won't go back in worth a dam.