In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with choosing 7.62X54Rmm bullets.

usmc572usmc572 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
Does anyone know the best 7.62X54r non-corrosive ammo that is below $35 per 100 rounds? That can possibly be purchased at a store?

The gun I'm using is a Russian Mosin Nagant M44 by the way if that helps.

Comments

• Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Non corrosive 7.62X54R and cheap contradict each other.

Use corrosive ammo and clean your rifle and it is just fine.
    I use Ballistol diluted 1 part with 10 parts of water and pour it through the bore after shooting, while it is still hot.

You can also use boiling water.
    Any cleaner like Windex needs to have the bore flushed with water.
    Then run some oiled patches through the bore and you are fine.

With the short barrel this is a brutal kicking rifle so I suggest whatever you use go with lighter bullets in the 150gr range to reduce the recoil.

I also suggest you stock up as the current prices, about triple what they were 18 months ago with go up as the last milsurp is bought up.

IMO

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I very highly doubt you will find non corrosive below $10-$12 per 20, ergo $50 to $60 per 100. I'd be hard pressed to reload for less than $.35 per shot with jacketed bullets and standard powder charges- and that's assuming I have the brass already.

Check www.aimsurplus.com or www.grafs.com and look at PRVI, S&B, and Hotshot brands. They are a bit cheaper than Remington, etc., but are good stuff.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    I purchased some...I believe it was bear. Green box made in russia. Anyway got it at a local gun store the other day for 7.49 for 20. Said it was non-corrosive.
  • Options
    204targetman204targetman Member Posts: 3,493
    edited November -1
    It was brown bear. And theres some on the auction side for 32.95 per hundred.....It is 185 grain bullets tho. With the synthetic stock I put on mine...it kicks like a mule...
  • Options
    klenisklenis Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try LAUA or NORMA catrige ...
  • Options
    usmc572usmc572 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I was going for Silver Bear because the local gun shop just got a shipment for $8.95 per 20 in one box and I can only find more on the internet but would like Norma but too expensive.