In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

lead bullets for semi-auto pistol

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
How well do lead bullets shot out of semi-auto pistols. Is there feeding problems with them? I kind of figure I will lose speed but for plinking it doesn't really matter much to me. Thanks, Joe.

Comments

• je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you use loading tables for lead bullets from a reloading manual and are not shooting a Glock, lead is fine. Leading doesn't bother me much unless you push for velocity
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Lead bullets are great for target shooting Good quality one's sized to proper size and lubed with the proper lube can shoots groups as good as the best jacketed bullets. They are also easy on barrels I get about 100,000 rounds through my BULLS-EYE target pistols before replacing the barrel and then it is not because bore damage. but wear on locking lugs.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have fired about 250,000 or so center-fire pistol rounds over the past few years. Most of them have been .45 ACP caliber. It is a very rare occasion when I shoot jacketed bullets in the .45. Most are 200 grain SWC cast rather soft. I also use a lot of 230 gr cast round nose bullets. The exception is the Glock. They use a weird Polygonal rifling. It will not engage the lead bullet and leads very badly. Replacing the barrel with a cut rifling barrel solves the issue.

Shooting lead bullets in guns is fine. Off the top of my head I can't think of a gun that using lead bullets won't work just fine.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    Been using lead for some time in most all my hand guns but not in the DESERT EAGLE 50/44.I USE IT IN THE 45acp, 10mm, 40sw, 44mag, 38,9mm,
    some dont like the SWC but most do. i just keep them down around 800-1000 fps, so far so good.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have 3 1911's that have never had anything but lead 200gr SWC's through them. The only guns that don't shoot a lead bullet are the ones that have Polygonal rifleing.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Even the polygonal rifling... while I wouldn't recommend it per se I mistrust anyone who says it CAN'T be done- just that it is easy to lead to problems.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    They work great! I have shot 1000s in 45 9MM and 357 Mag. Just don't try to push them too fast or you start seeing a little more leading.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot quite a few through my 9mm's mostly 115 swc with very good results. Some pistols don't like these so you can use round nose same-same. You have to flare the case slightly to facilitate entry of the bullet base. Use care when removing the flare that you don't crimp the case mouth as many auto pistol cartridges use the mouth for headspacing. Occasionally, I have a slight failure to fully lock due to the bullet catching the forward edge of the chamber. Since I'm shooting for fun it is of no consequence.
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glocks like mentioned above. The Desert Eagle pistols should not be shot with lead. It can foul the gas ports and the gun has to be sent back to the factory to fix the issue. Can't think of any others that can't or should not be shot with lead.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i shoot lead out of my xd and my 1911. the only main concern is the cleaning issue of getting the lead out of the barrel. i have found that when you're done shooting lead, put about 5-10rds of copper jackets through the gun. they'll do the vast majority of the cleaning for you and save you some scrubbing. enjoy