In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reduced 40 sw load?

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
does any know of a reduced 40 sw load. The powder I would preferr to use is Unique. Thank you, Joe.

Comments

• CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem with an automatic is the fact that they need to be loaded at pressures high enough to run the action and provide positive functioning.

Unique is an excellent powder for the 40, I like 5.3gr of Bullseye behind a 155 FMJ. I belive factory load is something like 6.1gr. I have had not a single FTF/FTE from my CZ.

I think I remember a buddy loading 6.7gr of Unique behind a 155'r for a decent plinking load. Check my data before loading. I belive the max load is 7.8gr.

Try 5.8gr of Unique behind a 180 bullet. I belive that is the starting load.

Another problem with the 40 is that the recoil is so much different than the 9mm or ever-so-popular 45acp. I classify the 40's recoil as being much sharper and less forgiving.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    155gr bullet 7.2gr unique 1048fps
    165 gr bullet 6.2 gr """" 882fps
    180 gr bullet 6.0gr """ 849fps

My 40S&W light load is
    165gr bullet 5.3grs of bullseye 949fps

All loads are starting loads taken from the speer #13 manual
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    joes. I use 5.5 gr. Unique, CCI SP primer, Berrys 165gr. plated flat point bullet, OAL 1.120. Shoots good and it's pretty clean for Unique. Cycles fine in my S&W 4006 and Glock 22. Those are my results with the EXACT componets mentioned.
  • joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys, My wife has been wanting "her own handgun" and choose a 40 s&w in a smith. After buying this gun we went to the range and after shooting a box, I could tell by the look in her eye it was more recoil than she thought. I feel if I could knock it down a couple pegs I can still keep her shooting it ( she shoots my 9mm) Now I know what you guys are thinking, she wanted the 40 for a defense gun and wanted more power if needed.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joes
    Thank you guys, My wife has been wanting "her own handgun" and choose a 40 s&w in a smith. After buying this gun we went to the range and after shooting a box, I could tell by the look in her eye it was more recoil than she thought. I feel if I could knock it down a couple pegs I can still keep her shooting it ( she shoots my 9mm) Now I know what you guys are thinking, she wanted the 40 for a defense gun and wanted more power if needed.

If the money allows, let her try a shot at a Commander sized 1911 or 3.5-4" 45 auto. The recoil, IMHO, is lighter and less harsh than the 40. My Kahr P45 is a 3.5" 45, and it recoils less than my CZ 40P (full sized, steel framed 40 caliber).
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.