In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 ACP

Ive been searching for some reloading equipment and supplies, ive found the brass and ive read on the powder and primers there is a hazmat fee. i live in cook county IL and when i do a google search for reloading supplies nothing comes up. Anyone in the area that can give me some info?

Comments

• Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i always buy my brass and bullets online but for primers and powders i go to a local sporting goods store and pick them up. usually close to the same price i can find online and skip the hazmat fee. hope this helps. good luck
  • Options
    Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    yup thanks. i was just told there is a new cabelas not far from here.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    who uses what type of powder? I know most people are product loyal but is there a difference? ive read the Lee reloading manual and there are to many different loads
  • Options
    PlowboyPlowboy Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really like Hodgdon HP 38 for 45 ACP loads. 230gr jacketed bullet 5.3 gr powder and a remington primer. or 220gr lead bullet and 4.9 gr powder. remington primer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cool thanks i will get a keg and look into tight group powder they are both 16.99 at cabelas and look it up in the manual the book says to use CCI and wincgester primers only so im going to stick to that and go with a 230 gr bullet
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Winchester 231 has been the old stand-by for 45acp for years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ill see if they have that. you cannever have enough
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Vote number 2 for 231, I also like unique.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have switched to RamShot Zip for 45ACP and will stick with that.
    I use 5gr for 185 SWC-L for my Kimber 5 inch 1911 and it is extremely clean.
    231 has been a favorite and cleaner than Unique and Bullseye also well liked for 45ACP but none are as clean as Zip.
    RamShot is made by Western Powder which has been a primary powder supplier for factory ammo for a long time but recently started selling for reloading.
    They are not new to powder just to us.

(I also tried their TAC for 223 and have switched to that as well for 223 but it also works well in many calibers)

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Vote number 2 for 231, I also like unique.

vote #3 for Win231 powder. I love it for all my plinking loads. 5 grains, Winchester primers, Starline brass and Rainier plated 230gr RN bullets. Makes for a fun day at the range.
  • Options
    Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 231 for the 45ACP also...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 231 Is a fine powder for 45ACP and ball powder will flow well in a progressive press However IMHO Bulls-Eye is better and I think cheaper . It loads great in a STAR press I can't speak for other powder measures . I have loaded over 250,000 rounds of Bulls-eye in the last 35+++ years and during extensive Ransom Rest testing It is always near the top with smaller group sizes. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powder Valley Inc. has good prices on powder and primers. Making a good sized purchase makes the haz mat fee OK. Buying from Cabelas is done at FULL BORE RETAIL and then some. Save the $$$ and get your reloading products from Powder Valley.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prices leap frog each other at Powder Valley and Wideners. Right now Wideners has not made the next increase and PV has.
    So, Wideners is actually cheaper and with a big order it could add up.
    Exp 8 LBs IMR4895 is $121.00 at PV and $118.00 at W
    Wolf SRM primers are $90.00 at PV and $87.00 at W (for 5K)

Most others have a similar small savings but if one bought 4 of the 4695 and 10K of primers that would be $18.00 for the same stuff.
    I would choose the $18.00 myself to pocket.
    Next month W could leap frog over PV so one must check all options the day of ordering

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Powder Valley Inc. has good prices on powder and primers. Making a good sized purchase makes the haz mat fee OK. Buying from Cabelas is done at FULL BORE RETAIL and then some. Save the $$$ and get your reloading products from Powder Valley.

will do im looking to buy the winchester powder and winchester primers. at the prices at powder valley i willbsave alot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    any of those sites sellgood deals on brass i was ripper of by some by some guy on the auctions.