In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

loctite glue for scope mount screws

wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
never used it before. checked with some sporting goods stores, but they didnt have any. i heard that i should try and get the blue loctite. where else can i find it?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I would go to a hardware store.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Auto parts stores carry it also.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
  • Options
    wcoxy2003wcoxy2003 Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thx guys, ill check them out.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Plenty spendy for what you get. Use sparingly.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    And use only the blue or green. Red can make it really tough to remove.
  • Options
    garand308wingarand308win Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you go to Midwayusa.com there is a video that shows you how to install a scope. The guy uses purple loctite. [:D]

If you are unsure which type threadlocker you need, visit Loctite.com and type the number in the description into the search engine to view specific information from Loctiter
  • Options
    David TittleDavid Tittle Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't EVER use red Loctite on a gun or anything else that you might want to take apart. On scope mounts and rings only use blue or purple Loctite. If you do use red you won't be able to take it apart after it sets. Any chain hardware store, most auto parts stores and even Wal Mart have Loctite. If all those fail you then try an industrial supply house that sells bearings and seals.

Semper Fi
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just degrease and de-oil the screws and threads and there is no reason for loctite. They loosen up because of oil/grease on the threads.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't degrease the screws AND the holes, the loctite won't work well anyway.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If the screws are cleaned to the bone along with the holes, the screws will loosen eventually
    from the vibrations if they are not Loctited in tight.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wcoxy2003,

Locktite has a number of products out that do what they originally had one product to do. Blue is soft but won't let your screws spin. Red is hard and won't let your screws spin but doesn't take well to screws coming out without possible damage to the screws. Locktite 406 is essentially aviation grade super glue. NEVER use anything resembling super glue. Unless you have a solvent to take it down with. Solvents like that usually cause cancer and are not necessary.

JustC noted you can get the necessary torque without going to Locktite type products. One of the reasons I advocate using the soft locktite is so that when you put the screws in and torque them down you get less damage to the threads using wet-torque(using locktite or thread lubrication) instead of dry-torque. Dry torque as JustC noted will leave a lot less problems in the future to fix and holds just fine, if you don't take the scope off the rifle numerous times.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fasteners loose for many reasons;
    1. Under torqued for the application reducing holding power.
    2. Over torqued causing thread over elasticity losing holding power.
    3. Dissimilar materials that corrode reducing thread strength.
    4. Undersize, underrated fasteners. Fastner strength isn't in it's
    length, but it's cross sectional and material.
    5. Foreign matter in the threads. Dirt, oil, etc.
    6. Wrong thread pitch.
    7. Cure time too short.

Loc Tite is a superior fastening agent over bare metals in many of the above. Especially in reducing-eliminating rust (oxidation).

Think of it application range by caliber & color.
    222 Purple fasteners up to 1/4". Easily removed by small hand tools
    242/243 Blue for fasteners 1/4"-1/2"-1". Moderate removable force
    272 Red for high impact, high stress. Hard to remove. Heat needed

The stronger the Loc Tite the better quality, better fitting a tool must be. Often when removing red, I use a heat gun, soldering iron on the fastener head to prevent damage.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Any hardware store should have blue locktite. Home Depot and OSH have it. I have heard for gun applications that green is better than blue.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Loctite 242. Never had one problem removing it. Dont use alot. less than a drop