In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

223 Dies??

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
What are you guys using to resize 223 brass that came out of your AR??
or maybe anything else that is chambered in 223. I have 1000's and 1000's of 223 brass and am gearing up to start reloading for my AR as ammo is $7-8 a box [V].

a regular full length die

or

a small base type dies?

A lee collet die would work to, some of this brass was pickup at the range and needs to be resized before it can be ran through my AR as it didn't come from my chamber.

Comments

• Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I don't do 223, most of the time a standard FL die will be all you need.
    Where the SB die comes into play is IF the brass has been fired in a chamber that is very oversized (IE: military MG) and has expanded to much in the last 1/4" of the case (near the extractor groove) to fit into your chamber. The SB die can reach a little bit further down the case wall, due to a reduced entry radius at the die mouth.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks tailgunner

whewww!!!

there is a lot of extra crap that goes into reloading military brass

I am sure that most of this stuff came from another AR15 or a bolt gun
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The full length sizer should be all you need. The Lee collet is a neck sizer only. For the military brass you will need a primer pocket swager or reamer, to take out the crimp.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    The full length sizer should be all you need. The Lee collet is a neck sizer only. For the military brass you will need a primer pocket swager or reamer, to take out the crimp.

SAME AS ABOVE, but i also trim all mine and use H335 powder. works great in my AR.
  • 5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    The first time I always size with a SB die, that way I know it will work in the AR...sometimes just sizing picked up range brass with a reqular Sizing die and I have had a few problems. If I know it was fired in my gun then a full length sizer after that will work.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sized all my brass with the Lee FL and it has fit fine in 4 different rifles. Almost all the once fired brass I processed needed trimming. I wouldn't even think of reloading any fired brass w/o a length check. I tried both the hand reamer and the RCBS press mounted swager before giving up and buying a Dillon swager. Wish I had done that first before wasting 1/3 of the price of the Dillon on other things that didn't work plus wasting time and effort on the failures.
  • pokerpimppokerpimp Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You full length resize the brass the first time you shoot the brass n your rifle. Then since the brass is now shaped perfect for your rifle, you only need to resize the neck.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lee full length resize die works great for my ar. in fact, i'm heading down to the basement now to load up some more. happy shooting. feel free to send me any .223 brass that you decide you don't need.... :)