In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22LR Match ammo revisited

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
Some time back, had asked for opinions on various brands of 22LR Match ammo. Have tried several, and ran across one by accident. Dick's Sporting Goods carries Federal Champion Standard Velocity target- at a price of about $19.80 per brick. May not be quite as good as some of the Ultra-match brands, but my Mossberg 44US and 51M seems to like it- and price is a LOT less than some other match rounds. If you have not tried this stuff, and are looking for something better than standard ammo for paper punching, you might give it a try.

Comments

• Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny you should mention it. I've been looking at some of the cheaper 22LR ammo and decided to give it a try. I'm going to get a box of 50 and see how it is. My Marlin 60 is picky about the ammo it will cycle properly. If it functions well I'm getting a case of it. So far the only thing I've found that it will eat is thunderbolts. Wasn't real happy with my last brick, too many duds. Before that I didn't have a problem with it. Besides the Federals are cheaper.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    It is good stuff. A guy in my gunclub called Federal and was told that it is sold oversea primarily as match ammo and at a higher price. I also get a little better results by weighing it and seperating it in to 4 groups. People around here found out about it and they can't keep it in stock. Local shooters buy up all they can when it is in stock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was quit suprised to see the words "champion" and "target" on ammo as cheap as that. Plan on trying some out this weekend or early next week. I have high hopes for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GGGGRRRRRRRR! No one locally has, or even stocks any of it. I took the plunge and ordered some online. I'm going to get a bolt action 22 (think I'm going to go with savage) and decided that if it won't cycle the marlin 60 I'll put it through the bolt action. Getting a bolt to slow down my firing, both for better tirgger control/groups and b/c I want a scope. Can't bare doing that to the marlin b/c of the sentimntal (sp?) value it holds to me. It was the first rifle I fired, excluding air rifles, and don't want to drill it. Keep the finges crossed it works, or I'll have to get some other type of 22LR before it increases again at the end of the month. [V]
  • Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I use the Federal Champion in my S&W 22A to shoot silhouettes. I rarely have a mis-fire, and it has never jammed using this ammo.
    For those of you that have experience with the 22A, you know that that is a testament to this ammo.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It finally quit raining and the wind wasn't 40mph today and I got to try out the federal champion ammo. I'm very happy with it. Cheaper and more accurate than thunderbolts. It also seamed like it was more consistant. I did 10 shot groups of thunderbolts, the federal ammo, and some old mini-mags. The federal's were the best, groups averaging about half the size of thunderbolts. And it cycled my picky Marlin 60 without a problem. Glad I like the because I got a case of them, well slightly less now. [;)] Looks like the thunderbolts I have left will be used for rapid fire plinking. I too would suggest giving them a try.
  • Options
    NV GuideNV Guide Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might also try some of the Wolf ammo. I have shot 2nd and 3rd with it in local matches. It run around $30 per brick.