In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

have a few questions

I'm new to reloading. I use to reload shotshell with my dad when i was little. Anyway i'm trying to get into reloading again and I have the press and working on dies. I will be reloading for 223,308, 300win mag and probley 7.62x54 later when i start hunting with it.

Rbight now its just a plinker. now the 223 and 308 are ar stlye and 300 win mag is a savage 110. I have a reloading manual and want to start reloading for the 300. what powder should i start with. also what powder measuring do you recommend. i want something simple to use. wont be reloading to much just starting out. I see alot of dippers but i find it hard to beleave they can be accurate in measuring anyone use them

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A RCBS Uniflow measure is fine, so is the Hornaday. You might snag a good deal on a used one on the auction side of the site.. The 300 Win Mag responds well to slow powders like IMR-4350 and IMR-4831. Try a few different powders to see what works best in your rifle.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use a Lyman-55 measure, had it for about 30yrs. Check NAZebay, they have good prices on reloading equipment also.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For now, you can simply use your scale and a teaspoon to weigh out each charge (slow, but it works). After the manual, the scale is the most important reloading tool (RCBS 505 is a good one). You will need a scale to setup your powder measure anyway.

When you pick up your scale, also get a powder funnel, it makes it easier to pour your freshly weighed charge into the case.

I like to recogmend using the manual put out by the bullet maker, Sierra shows their most accurate load (there "hunting" load is simply the one that produced the highest velocity) and Nosler show the most accurate (actually consistant) load with each powder tested, as well as the powder that was consistantly the most accurate in their testing.
  • Options
    konamtbikerkonamtbiker Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For your 300 Win Mag I use RL22 for larger bullets(165-180), and RL 19 for Smaller bullets. (150s or 155s).

For your 308 I use Varget or IMR4064 through all ranges of bullets.

Havent loaded for the 223. But i hear H380 is great. H380 is a ball powder and will meter great

I use the RCBS Uniflow, Never had problems.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Re: the Lee style dippers; I wouldn't be without them. If experimenting with some new combinations I'll pick a dipper that holds a grain or two under my target, then top it off on my scale with a trickler. A lot easier than readjusting the charge tube on my 55, RCBS or B & M measures.
    Used properly the dippers can be quite accurate, especially with ball or small grain powders. If I'm working with light loads I've had good results using the dippers alone. Hunting or target loads get the B & M measure except in small capacity cases like the Hornet when I weigh out each charge.