In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SWC

Why do we use SWC for reloading? I have always used them because of cheaper cost. But whats the real reason ?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I don't know what cartridge you are talking about BUT I can address the 45ACP . #1 the long full diameter in relationship to length makes for very good barrel seal that translates to good group size compared to most other nose shapes.#2 There is enough nose to help on the feeding into a match chamber. #3 they normally are used at slow velocity and have a sharp shoulder "[:p][:0]THIS MAKES THEM EASY TO SCORE [}:)]" even for us with old eyes have you ever scored the Nosler 185 grain JHP [V] They shoot good but are the pits to score.
  • Options
    wmasbridgewmasbridge Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 45acp what I shoot. I do not shoot competition but I have a friend that does and I get all my reloading info. from him. So that's why I shoot SWC. LOL
    Thanks
    Marty
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on easier to score. the swc cuts a cleaner hole through paper making hits easier to see
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've also heard if a SWC hits a solid rounded surface it is more like to "catch" on the corner of the nose and penatrate instead of bouncing off
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like I will be going to RN bullets. SWC to much trouble
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    All I shoot in 45ACP are 200gr. SWC's. Some times you have tune your pistol to feed them. If you get the seating depth and crimp right, they will feed just as good as round nose.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My CW 45 Kahr will not shoot SWC as the brass is ejected the rim of the brass hits the shoulder on the SWC. What can you do to fix it ?They feed fine.
    Thank
    Marty