In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lee Pro 1000 ??

DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
I just bought a Lee Pro 1000 and am trying to get it set up. The instructions are not very detailed at all. Does anyone here use one? I can't figure out what purpose the "bead chain" has for the powder drop.
My buddy had one of these Pro 1000's and we reloaded thousands of rounds with it. He has since moved away so I can't ask him about it.

Any info much appreciated.[8D]

Comments

• PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    The chain connects to the lever on the powder measure. It will make it drop the powder charge as the press goes up and down. It is a little trickey to adjust. If it is too tight, it will break. Too loose and it won't work.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In my experience the Pro 1000 bridges powder charges (causing squib loads) using large flake powders like Red Dot... just as a heads up. It also frequently fails to feed primers unless you really keep the hopper full. Don't go too fast, do a rythym and watch every step the press does and it should treat you fine.

Ditto on the chain. Don't miss the spring that slides over the chain but below the keeper on the press base. Make sure it is tight when the ram is all the way down.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I had a Pro 1000 for a while. Had too many problems with the powder measure. Sold it and bought a Dillon, NO MORE trouble [:D][:D]
  • Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee has several videos on how to setup their presses,on this page.:

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/HelpVideos/video.html
  • DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I tinkered with it some more tonight and just got through loading 100 .45 ACP. It is a bit tricky, but once I got it going, it seems to be working OK. I shot the first 10 and they fed fine and the accuracy was real good. I'm using 6 grains of Unique and 200 grain lead round nose cast bullets. I'm also going to use it for my 10MM, .38, .357 and .44. I just need to buy all the shell plates for the other calibers.

Thanks again guys.

Regards, Don
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    WHAT jonk SAID.

I dont use mine to powder anymore it skipped a few rounds and that was the end of that.

Go slow and watch the primer hopper also. The last 10 or so there wont slide down, you have to help them.

I use a single stage to powder and seat the bullet now.
  • CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one that I just started using. They are VERY finicky. But once you get everything right you can really get things going. I hvae done about 500 rounds in each....40, .38 spcl, and .44 mag. It does work but a Dillon is better.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Use Winchester 231 and your powder problems will disappear when you use this press. It is the only powder I can use in mine and not have any variance. I measured a hundred charges in a row one night, and it didn't vary enough to measure.

I still look in every case to be sure there is powder in them. Just a habit from the days of other powders.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    Use Winchester 231 and your powder problems will disappear when you use this press. It is the only powder I can use in mine and not have any variance. I measured a hundred charges in a row one night, and it didn't vary enough to measure.

I still look in every case to be sure there is powder in them. Just a habit from the days of other powders.

231 MAY WORK GOOD IN THIS SETUP,
    (i still don't trust the lee powder measure)[xx(]
    and i had psi trouble using 231 for 44mag, loaded below Max charge 10.4gr.
    231 only sees 45acp now
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't trust my lee disk measure on my 1000 unless I beat on it twice for every round. Put a case in the shell holder rap, rap, rap on the measure, put a bullet on the case under the seating die, rap, rap, rap on the measure pull the handle and repeat. Needs a little touch on the down stroke to seat primers properly as well. You can make usuable ammo with a 1000 but you got to beat and stroke it just right or you will have a bunch of crap ammo.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    thats a good link, if it only showed how to put the primers in it would be better.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The more I read, the more I like my new Hornady progressive press.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skyfish
    The more I read, the more I like my new Hornady progressive press.

skyfish here is another good read

Dillon/Lee/Hornady.pdf
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, very interesting.
  • billingham420billingham420 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a refurb off Lee's web site for about 85 bucks, as I recall. Considering that it came with a complete set of carbide 45ACP dies, it was a screaming deal... full payback in about 250 rounds, I think I calculated.

It does takes some study (be sure to watch the videos!) to figure out how to get it going, but once you get the picture, it works fine.... but you have to GO SLOW!! I. E., don't try to operate it too fast.

(I do a lot of shot shell reloading with MEC Grabbers, and am used to pumping shells out pretty fast... I had to break that habit with the Lee, and slow down to about 25% of MEC speed.)

The primer feed will drive you crazy... you've GOT to keep the hopper full. And, pay attention to that advice about learning to feel the seating of the primer.

I operated it in "single shot" mode for a while until I felt that I had the routine down cold. I also waited a while before installing the shell feeder for the same reason.

Other than that, It is a great bargain. By the way, GO SLOW!
  • ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who had those probs with the 1000--mine is set up for .45 Colt and I did get some squib loads with it and it hasn't been used since. Now with the videos maybe I can go back and revisit using it again.
  • CoochCooch Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aye, she is a finicky beast!! It takes me a while each time that I change cal to get it to work right...but IF I watch the primer tray...and IF I make sure to keep the powder hopper over half full...and IF (when loading .44 mag) I use my fingers to keep the cases from not feeding onto the shell plate....it works like a charm. I try to make sure I am loading at least 500 of any cal before I change it.

That being said I use Unique, Titegroup, and Win231 with no problems in the charging dept.

I wish I had STARTED with Dillon...but have too much invested in the Lee gear to switch at this point...but I think about it each time I switch cal's!!!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cooch
    Aye, she is a finicky beast!! It takes me a while each time that I change cal to get it to work right...but IF I watch the primer tray...and IF I make sure to keep the powder hopper over half full...and IF (when loading .44 mag) I use my fingers to keep the cases from not feeding onto the shell plate....it works like a charm. I try to make sure I am loading at least 500 of any cal before I change it.

That being said I use Unique, Titegroup, and Win231 with no problems in the charging dept.

I wish I had STARTED with Dillon...but have too much invested in the Lee gear to switch at this point...but I think about it each time I switch cal's!!!

sounds like my set up, love it when it works, did get a carrier for all other cal i load, that makes setup better,
    i just dont use the powder set up anymore.[:(]

anybody use the case hopper, looks like junk but works great