In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 cal. 220gr---

Which 30 caliber rifle cartridge would get the full benefit of these 220 grain bullets? They are in what appears to be a Herters box, but look like Winchester silver-tips. The box label is missing.

DCP_0877.jpg

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Minimum, I would say, 30-06. But probably better suited for one of the 6 or so magnums with a lot of very slow burning powder.Possibly it would be a compressed load
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300RUM will shove them into overdrive.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    220 was standard for 30-40 Krag
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dtknowles
    220 was standard for 30-40 Krag

I was also thinking of all the magnums. I wasn't aware that it was standard for the 30-40 krag.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    peabo,

+1 on dtknowles said. Just that they only go about 2200 fps from a Krag. You can however launch them out of ANY 1-10" twist .30 cal you have as they are/should be a .308 dia bullet. A .300 Win mag will push them to about 2800. Pushing them from a .300 Savage or .308 will probably only get you 2000-2100 fps. A 30-06 will get around 2400-2450 with them.
  • Options
    dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remember these are from before the development of controlled expansion bullets. They will have a fairly narrow performance range. Too fast and they will come apart on tough targets but will probably expand even at lower velocity. I would think that they would be good for 30-40, 308 or 30-06 at moderate ranges and would be good for the magnums at longer ranges but shoot a moose or elk or Bear or Pig at close range with a magnum and the bullet may blow up on hide or bone and not penetrate
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    They would be alot of fun out of a 308, here is a great article on shooting heavy bullets:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/heavybullets.html
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Those appear to be Winchester Power Points, and my .300 Win Mag LOVES them! The Spitzers weren't all that popuar when Winny first came out with the rounded noses, but after making them pointier; they sold like hotcakes!
    They could also be originals for the 30-40; 2 cannelures usually means a dual use, like military and civilian loadings. It's hard to tell; are the silver parts matched up with ridges in the nose of the bullet?
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Those appear to be Winchester Power Points, and my .300 Win Mag LOVES them! The Spitzers weren't all that popuar when Winny first came out with the rounded noses, but after making them pointier; they sold like hotcakes!
    They could also be originals for the 30-40; 2 cannelures usually means a dual use, like military and civilian loadings. It's hard to tell; are the silver parts matched up with ridges in the nose of the bullet?

I don't see any ridges in the nose of the bullet. They seem to be like other silver tips that I have seen, smooth. I also am not sure who made these.

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My two groove Springfield 1903A3 eats every bullet from 100 grain plinkers to 220 RN's accurately.