In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what am I doing wrong?

dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
I'm sizing 222 brass. I'm using a rockchucker with rcbs dies. I size them fine but after I do this I need to case trim them. I have a forster original case trimmer. After they are sized the 22 pilot doesnt fit into the end of the case. why? I could trim before I size but the cases get a little longer after I size. please help!

dgac

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do this with all my pilots. The pilot is just a little larger than your expander ball.Put the pilot in a drill and spin it on some sandpaper till it fits. hold the sandpaper between your fingers on the sides of the pilot, do it evenly. #240 or #320 with a little oil. #180 in a pinch but nothing coarser. Won't take much!Trial and error a little at a time. Whole process shouldnt take more than 4 or 5 minutes. Now you have a perfect custom fit. You may want to mic the expander ball first to make sure it is not grossly undersized. Not likely though.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    first, you are sizing the brass so far that they grow in length. Back off the sizing die some.

Second,..the mandral won't fit because after sizing you have applied "neck tension". The neck of a sized case is several .001"s less than the dia of the bullet. That is what holds it in place. Lube the mandral, but be sure to wash the cases before loading.
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might also be the expander button in your die. If you don't have this problem with any of your other .224 cartridges try using the expander button from one of those sizing dies(also mic them to see if there is a difference). This will prevent you from having to alter the trimmer pilot that will render it undersize for the others. The expander button is designed to leave the case mouth undersized by a few thousandths depending on the desired neck pull. They apparently wanted a lot of it with this die which may not be necessary. If this is the only .224 you are going to load for then the B17 & P51 pilot has the cure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I figured it out....not going to tell what it was[:I]

dgac
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea - that .243 pilot is a little tight isn't it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no wasnt that dumb