In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old shells and primers..any good??

clickclick Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
I had a guy drop off a bunch of shot shells, loaded, and 2K 209 primers... half Herters and half Non- Corr brand... they look ok but are they usable?? also some loaded 30-06 ammo that is stamped 30-G 1906... what the heck is that about?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like you got some 1960's era primers. If stored properly it should be fine. The ammo is 30-06. If it was made with mercuric primers it could be dangerous to shoot due to brittle brass. I would pull one down and see what the powder looks like. You could salvage the bullets if the brass and powder has deteriorated.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    30-G 1906 = 30-Goverment-1906 (as opposed to 30 Govt 1903) = the origional (comericial) designation for what we know today as the 30-06.

The "origional" 30 Govt cartridge was the 30 ARMY, better known today as the 30-40 Krag
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    prime an empty shell, insert it, and fire it. Do this maybe 10 times. If the random samples all fire, I would bet you are OK.