In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rookie Re-loader

All,
I have made up mind to start re-loading. I have decided to go with the Hornady Lock-n-load. What I need is a list of associated equipment before I really get into it. Any tips and advice would really help. 25 WSSM will bee the main caliber I will be re-loading. Thanks

SRM

Comments

• Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    get a manuel and read, read and read some more
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    32-20onr,

I have found that reloading for the 25 WSSM I need to anneal brass much more quickly than other brass. I usually only get maybe three loadings out of it before I have to.
    I load for that round with two different rifles. My best load so far is H4350x pushing a Berger 115(into the lands .010") out at 3050. That takes 44.5 gr. I also use the same amount of powder behind a 110 Accubond. I don't have to put the Accubond into the lands for accuracy, but I get 200 more fps with it when I do. The Bergers won't shoot that well if you don't put them into the lands. This load is 1 full grain under max according to the load books but because the bullets start in the lands it is about max load. Email me if you have more questions about this cartridge. One thing I will tell you is that I have had very little success with it loading the Vihtavouri Powders. It seems to like Hodgdon the best. IMR does well but still has a large change in velocity from summer to winter.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the world of reloading, it's addictive. First things first, get a couple of manuals and read and read. I'd get more than one because while they are similar, no two are the same and each will have some dirrerent info. The manuals will give you info on what equipment you will need to start. Go to a local book store, or library, and look at some books to make sure it's something you want to get into before you buy the books. You will want to start on a single stage press, doing one step at a time. I may be wrong but I thought the Hornady Lock-n-Load was a progrssive, doing everything at once. If you want the Hornady, also get a used single stage online and use that for a bit until you know what you are doing. You can find lots of old threads dealing with others, including me, about just starting to reload by search the forums-the search is located in the upper right of the page. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Someone here will be able to give you an answer because they have probably been in the same boat as you.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    read several manuals first, and also try to have an experienced loader show you how to set up the equipment and how to handle each step.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats, you'll like doing your own cartridges. I have 3 manuals, Lyman, Hornady, and an old Speer. Also I have a lot of online data that I have gathered. Nice press. While reloading is fairly staight-forward, setup maybe the hardest. Also the 1st time you load off the rifling, it can be tricky. I agree with others if you know someone that does reload that may help you get started, just don't start at max loads.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forums!

If you hit the search tab in the upper right corner and put in Reloading for a search you will find many good discussions on the subject.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to hijack, but have you ever used Accurate 4350 or Just the H4350, I've used most of my IMR 4350 and have benn thinking of giving one of those others a try.
  • Options
    32-20onr32-20onr Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All,

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have some work to do. What books do you all suggest for first look reading? Reloading books, equipment books or both? I will have to keep checking here for a few more weeks until I get back stateside. Currently in Baghdad.
    Thanks again.

SRM
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    32-20onr,

The latest Hornady and the newest Nosler reloading books have in-depth information on the 25WSSM. Any of them have a lot of good information in the front that you should read. I think my Sierra's latest has it. If not then you can get the pages ordered separately for it without having to buy another manual.

good luck.