In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

final finish bore conditioning

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
Has anyone tested the results of the " final finish bore conditioning system" by Tubbs. Does condition the barrel and improve shooting results? I do not know anyone that has ever tried and am guessing someone out there must have. Thanks, Joe.

Comments

• Options
    HandgunHTR52HandgunHTR52 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I used it on a Remington Model 7 SS in .260 that I couldn't get to shoot worth a hoot. As far as improving the accuracy of the gun, I didn't notice a difference. I did however notice that it was a lot easier to clean after doing it. It did not foul as much.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    You can get better results using JB Bore Compound and a light oil in smoothing out any machining marks or striations left by grit or cleaning rods. It may improve your accuracy as well, since it "hones" the metal in the barrel, polishing it and removing high spots if done patiently. and with long full strokes.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard reports of lesser MV due to material being removed during firing. I MIGHT consider it in a really rough military bore, but never in anything else.

There are other options. I use sinclair ring lapping compound on a patch.
  • Options
    .257roberts.257roberts Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Ruger .220 Swift with a varment/target barrel. The fellow that does my miner gunwork told me to shoot it about 75 times, cleaning it completely every 5 times. Then about every 10 times or when it started throwing shots. He says that will help with accuracy big time. So far it seems to be working with my gun.
  • Options
    gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Conservative use of polishing compounds, stroked by hand, has improved the performance of 'rough bores' for a lot of people.
    ('Performance' being consistency, if nothing else)

I don't hear much on the results obtained by 'shooting' the compound down the bore.

I'm terribly biased though, because I've never used the Tubb's system.

Which approach, do YOU think, would give you more control of the process ? Like everything else, you have to decide for yourself.
  • Options
    MtnloverMtnlover Member Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the Tubbs system on a factory-rebarreled Ruger M77 that had an incredibly rough bore. The Tubbs system did knock down enough rough edges to allow me to finish the bore in the usual way, cleaning and shooting plus some JB paste. My gunsmith described the Tubbs system as a "bore grinder" that he would never use. I'd say only consider it if you have a really rough bore to start with and then only use it sparingly.