In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

weatherby bolt action play

I recently bought a 7mm mag mark v and at the range I noticed the bolt feels loose or has a lot of play in it after chambering a round. I did not feel this so much in any other bolts. Is this for a reason?
Has anyone else had this maybe they all do this? I guess you'd have to be familiar with this particular gun (model) to know what i mean. Any
weatherby owners out there. I like the gun and its very accurate for a hunting tool. imo a bit pricey tho'.

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Loose in what way?

side to side?

or

front to back?
  • Options
    huntertrucker1huntertrucker1 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    actually its worse with the safe on. just a little side to side movement with it off. no back to front. i guess it just feels sloppy with the safety on. maybe I'm too picky, expecting too much for a buck?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    huntertrucker1,

I would think that that bolt should be relatively firm when a cartridge is locked up in it. I've known several people who've owned Weatherby's and have said when they took them in to get the action trued, for re-barreling or accurizing, that their lugs often are not all touching. But the rifles still shoot great(for them).

It could be that Weatherby maintained slightly loose chambers for reliability and his system of free-boring for a half inch or so is what maintains accuracy? I have always found that normal to tight headspacing is what really dictates good accuracy.
  • Options
    huntertrucker1huntertrucker1 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks s'much for the input. The info. is duly noted.